Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator privileges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tryhard

tryhard

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hi Guys, I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 as the operating system. My problem is when trying to access files in the user directory I am told that I do not have access, which I find anoying as I tend to manually delete temp files and cookies rather than doing it through other programs.

The operating system came pre-installed on the machine so possilby I am not set as administrator, what can I do to fix this?

Cheers

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi Dave. . .

Are you referring to the IE cache & cookie folders?

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

There are several options -
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
3. Take Ownership of the folder/ files - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html
4. Activate the Hidden Administrator user account (if you do so, DO NOT delete your current user-admin account as only it can install certain security Windows Updates) - http://sysnative.com/0x1/Hidden_Admin_Acct.html
5. Use a batch script - This will delete Content.IE5 files -

set "x1=%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"
set "x2=%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\low\content.ie5"
for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /b /ad "%x1%"') do (
	del "%x1%\%%a\*.*" /s /f /q > "%temp%\x3_ie5"
)
for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /b /ad "%x2%"') do (
	del "%x2%\%%a\*.*" /s /f /q >> "%temp%\x3_ie5" 
)
start notepad "%temp%\x3_ie5"
exit

Paste it into a Notepad; save with file ext = .bat

To run - RIGHT-click on the .bat file, select "Run as Administrator". A Notepad will open listing the deleted files.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

Hi jcgriff2,

Thanks for your quick reply, talk about spoilt for choice. I think that I will go with option 5 as I like to be able to delete files where and when I choose and I get really miffed when a computer tells me I dont have access. Guess I have always done my work through Windows Explorer and have just got into the habit of doing things myself and not depending on other programs to do my bidding.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Dave

#4 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello again, dont know if it is just me but I seem to have had a fail at both options 4 and 5. With option 4 I still cant get access to the files in my user directory including IE temp files etc. I have noticed that the directory entries have a small blue arrow in a box just beside the entry and these marked ones are the ones that I have no access to. When working in the hidden admin account these entries are not available (or should I say not visible) for some reason.

I had a go at option 5 and ran the batch file as administrator but while doing a superaintispyware scan I noticed that the temp IE files are still in abundance.

Have not had this problem in previous versions of Windows any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

... directory entries have a small blue arrow in a box just beside the entry and these marked ones are the ones that I have no access to. When working in the hidden admin account these entries are not available (or should I say not visible) for some reason.

Those are called "Junctions" and are used by XP-era program installations looking for "Documents and Users" directory and its sub-directories (folders). An installer seeking "c:\Documents and Users" will be re-directed to "c:\users" in Vista & Windows 7.

Junctions cannot be used by the user via Windows Explorer - only the legacy installation apps can use them. You will get "access denied" error if you click on one.

To get into the IE folders, go through the full path -- folder by folder -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

You cannot get to them via the Junction - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files

Be sure hidden, system folder view is enabled in the Hidden Admin account - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

...I had a go at option 5 and ran the batch file as administrator but while doing a superaintispyware scan I noticed that the temp IE files are still in abundance.

Have not had this problem in previous versions of Windows any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vista and Windows 7 differ greatly from XP re: accessible areas of the system. In XP, all admin user accounts ran with full admin rights - 2 tokens; 1 = user; 1 = Admin.

In Windows 7, user-admin accounts run with a single user token only and when needed, request the 2nd token (Admin) via UAC for admin-specific tasks. Only the Hidden Admin user account runs with both user tokens.

As for the IE temp files, files that are "in use" won't be deleted. Close all IE Windows before running the batch script. The Content.IE5 folders will remain after running the batch script and each will contain a single 67 byte file named desktop.ini

Also, keep in mind that Windows 7 utilizes virtualization - a literal game of smoke & mirrors. What you see may not necessarily be there (where you think you are looking).

Example - if an app attempts to write to a virtualizable folder in \Program Files, the output will be re-directed to the Virtual Store located within your user profile -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Please see - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 27 November 2011 - 01:10 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#6 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

G'day mate, I have been trying to work on your suggestions but I do think that this have become all too complicated just to remove a few IE files and associated junk. Maybe moving back to a previous version of Win might solve the issues. Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Dave

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

@jcgriff2: TYVM for those 2 very useful & informative posts, bookmarked & added to my "library"... Side note/off topic since the OP seems to have abandoned this topic: My cousin (long time XP, first time 7 user) made the mistake of taking ownership of the Document and Settings Junction folder, the result wasn't pretty...no installation media, corrupt OEM restore partition, she didn't burn a copy despite the fact that most (if not all) OEM's practically BEG the user to do so.

Fast forward to: Jim Dandy (me) to the rescue...at least I got a steak dinner & a couple Corona's out of it lol.

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 December 2011 - 03:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users