Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus that redirects Google search

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rothee82

rothee82

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hello,
Last week, I got some sort of virus on my computer that kept making this "anti-virus software" pop up on my screen. Several of my passwords for other websites popped up in error messages saying that my computer was at risk etc. After downloading Avast I was able to kind of get things back to normal by doing a system restore. The pop-ups, etc. stopped, but a few weird things kept happening:

1) Random sound clips (different music, people talking on a news broadcast or commercial or something) playing every 20 min or so
2) Whenever I search for something on Google it redirects me to a different site that looks like another search engine.
3) All of the icons on my desktop disappear and so does the toolbar at the bottom.

I have scanned with Avast and it found 3 infected files which I deleted. That seems to have stopped the sound clips but the redirect is still happening. I have also downloaded and scanned with Malwarebytes and it doesn't find any files that are corrupted, but I'm still having this redirect issue.

Please help me with this! I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to computers, and I've pretty much run out of ideas.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2011 - 08:04 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

I've been having the exact same problem since last night,and i've been going through hell to fix it,it doesn't seem to be harmful,but its really really annoying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users