Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Privacy is a lie?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mechadrake

mechadrake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

I heard from a friend of mine who works with computers that unknowningly, your ISP and police (and government too?)keep track of all your online activity and check it reguarly, even stuff such as passwords, credit card numbers.
He told me they can easily check your emails, chatlogs, thats how they catch some criminals. I don't know if he's bluffing, is this true?? O.O

Does that mean if my g/f send me a naughty pic of her, they can all see it? lol xD

(P.S if this is in the wrong section, sorry, I couldnt find anywhere else to post.)

Edited by mechadrake, 23 November 2011 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Uh the ISP keeps an active log of everything you do, and the police can only check it with a warrant, so to answer your question. If the ISP is smart enough then they can capture all activity and view it later.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Depending on your jurisdiction such monitoring may or may not be legal or may require a court order. It is, however, technologically trivial to do, so even where it's illegal it may be happening. See, for example, the warrantless wiretapping scandal of a few years ago.

#4 mechadrake

mechadrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

So the three don't really share the information? Is it possible for some1 who works for ISP to access my credit card number and use it then? Or just find out stuff I'm buying on ebay and pass it to third parties?

Edited by mechadrake, 24 November 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

No it is impossible to see the transaction if its over HTTPS. If it is over HTTP without the S which means no security then it will be easily readable by anyone who maybe sniffing that traffic.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

To answer the question of, is it possible? Yes with the proper tools and access to the data stream it is possible. Next the question is, is it probable? The answer to that is very very highly unlikely without a court order. Two things come into play, one having access to the data stream to capture the data, then decoding it. Next becomes a very difficult and risky task of matching that data to a specific user and name.

Having the data and making it usable is not something that has a good high risk versus reward factor. MUCH MUCH easier ways to make money with lower risk to reward ratios. Remember criminals want as little risk involved as possible. The scenario you propose exposes a person to high levels of scrutiny accessing data. Be it physical data such as traffic, and also data of customer information. Those two things are highly compartmentalized.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

To answer the title of your thread..

IF YOU USE SITES LIKE FACEBOOK,ETC your privacy is very much compromised!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users