Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my computer-what to do

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chia99

chia99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys, I have a Compaq desktop that is 5 years old that is pretty good condition but in recent years I have noticed it has slowed down and sluggish. I have not changed any hardware on this computer since I bought it. I have never built or changed internal parts on a computer but I want to try to upgrade the parts on this computer that would make it faster and better...What are something I should look into buying so I can do that? (This is secondary computer so I can experiment with little risk).

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

What is the model number of the PC? Given the age of that computer, it is unlikely there are many substantial upgrades possible since CPU's nowadays use different sockets and RAM uses different slots.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well...if you insist on "upgrading" a Compaq system that is 5 years old...you should take note of 2 things, in addition to what DJB already stated:

a. A new motherboard, CPU, RAM and possibly PSU...may cost more and certainly won't be as efficient as a new system, considering the prices of desktops today which are not necessarily "new" but are readily available because they are no longer being pushed to the forefront of the "buy this" campaign that advertisers wage.

b. Compaqs and other OEM systems made by manufacturers like HP, Dell, etc...are not necessarily designed or built with "upgrading" in mind by the manufacturers. Such systems often use PSUs that barely did the job...when the system was new. Installing newer components may increase the power requirements so that a new PSU becomes a key basic consideration.

Sooo...it comes down to how much money you want to invest in a system that is 5 years removed from much of today's computer technology...versus a newer system with (probably) more efficient and more current components.

Something that you should always remember...you will pay more for older parts/components (generally) because they are not likely to be current inventory items...as opposed to more recent components. You can verify this by taking a look at pricing of components at retailers like tigerdirec.com (usually have a fairly extensive inventory of parts) and newegg.com.

IMO, the key thing to consider is how much money you want to spend...and what your reasons/needs are for going to "upgrades" or a new system.

Last tip...never plan to buy components from the system manufacturer, if you do go the upgrade route.

Louis

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

The reason why you don't want to buy components from the system manufacturer is because they charge you a outrageous price.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users