Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spyware guard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:32 AM

I would like to use Spyware Guard but i am a bit concerned that the definitions are only up to date as of January 2004.Could i please have some guidance.
Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:03 PM

Info found @ Wilders security Forum.

{Quote: MikeBCda Senior Member @ Wilders Dated 9-9-04} "Javacool's "style" with SpywareGuard is that anything new generally is incorporated into program upgrades, since (if I understand correctly) for all practical purposes it doesn't use what we think of as definitions.

Since it's heavy on heuristics protection, it's probably a fair guess that you'll see those upgrades primarily when new kinds of exploits are discovered in the wild -- or, of course, to fix bugs and glitches. And of course JC himself can't predict those."

You may also want to check out this link from Wilders. Here Go down to the 2nd post.

Edited by scarlett, 04 November 2004 - 12:05 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:43 PM

Hi Philip, :thumbsup: to BC.

Spywareguard is an excellent program and I would recommend you use it and Spywareblaster both. As the links that scarlett provided point out, it is not looking for a particular program, it is looking for certain patterns of activity that may indicate spyware is on your system so it does not need to be updated that often.

One thing I see asked a lot about Spywareguard is that people are not sure if it is doing anything, if it is working or not. To test if it is working, all you have to do is try to change your homepage and it will popup and ask you if you want to allow the change or not. This is one of the things it is looking for, someone or something trying to change your homepage, like a hijacker.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

Thanks to you both.I think i now understand.I will be insalling Spyware Guard .

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 08:39 PM

You are so very welcome! :thumbsup: Glad to help. :flowers:
Posted Image

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:50 PM

Just as a note, if you have spybot installed with teatimer, then you do not need spywareguard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users