Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't want to start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leah2917

leah2917

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hello!
I'm not certain if my problem belongs under the Windows XP heading, but I do have Windows XP Home Edition.

Lately, my computer hasn't wanted to start up. It seems to get most of the way through the start up process, but then it just kind of seems to crap out, and then the monitor says "no signal". If I try again and again, it has so far eventually started up. It's willing to start up in safe mode - I'm in safe mode with networking right now.

I'm not sure what all information would be helpful, but I'll tell you that I have a desktop computer, Everex Impact GA3400. Wondering if anyone could help me with this?

Thanks! Leah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Specs at http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=51694 .

If it boots in safe mode...but there's "no signal" on a normal boot...I'd uninstall the video drivers (via Device Manager) while in safe mode and then reboot and reinstall the video drivers.

https://www.evertek.com/about/my_account.asp?Action=Support&token=OCEFA5CC70347A85EF791567922CA7ED1 , download video drivers here.

Louis

#3 leah2917

leah2917
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks, Louis!
I haven't used Device Manager before, but I did go there and under "Sound, video and game controllers", I have the following:
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio-ATI AA01
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

Is it Legacy Video Capture Devices that I should uninstall?

Thanks again.
Leah

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

No, you want to look in the Display Adapters category not under the Sound video and game controllers.

Please post what is listed there and if the device has a yellow circle with an exclamation point (!) or a red X

If it works in safe mode but not in mormal I would suspect something loading on startup that is causing it to do this.
When you try to boot mormal does the system literally power itself off or does it stay running?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users