Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Home Management Center with Touch Screens

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

So as im sure you read in the title i'm looking to try and build some type of "Home Management Center".

Quick overview:
I currently have an old intercom system installed in my house, i will take it apart this weekend to see what type of wiring i have available but my plan is to eventually replace all the old parts with something more modern and up to date. I've looked around on the internet and all the intercom systems I have found are way too expensive and don't even do what i would eventually like to do. So i've decided i'm going to attempt to build my own system somehow using any parts i can find...anywhere.

In the end this is what i'm hoping to have fully functional:
Everything will be controlled by a server that i will setup somewhere in my house where all my CCTV inputs, ceiling speakers, and any other devices will be connected to.

A small touch screen installed in place of each old intercom device with a ceiling speaker in each room. This way if i can eventually figure it out i will be able to either play music through that speaker depending on which room i select or use it as the intercom speaker. The server will probably be running some type of linux distro that i will have to customize and program some how to support the features i want to have.

My real question comes down to the touch screen in each room. At my work we have hundreds of small SBC (single board computers) that I can use as i please, they are about 8.5"x8.5"x1.5", and what i was originally thinking was that i could use one in each room to control the touch panel...BUT if there is another way i can do this i'm all about it. I can't for the life of me think of any other way to do this mainly because i've never had to deal with touch panels or remote touch panels before. I'm a computer nerd at heart, ex-electrician, all around handy man, and have no problem building my own circuits or circuit boards, but does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions on what i could use for this?

If there is a company that already has something similar to this i have no problem buying whatever hardware i need to get it working, I just don't think that i need a SBC for each and every touch panel in every room.

Any ideas or suggestions anybody can push my way? I'm always open to suggestions or ideas on what you guys think may make this easier, or if there are any parts/additions you guys know about that would like to point out.

I did find this x10 site that im looking through and going to see if i can work out a way to integrate their outlets somehow but that's on the back burner until i can at least get the touch screens up and running and able to view or stream cctv feeds from the server.

Thanks for the help and any input!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users