Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I want to get an exernal hard drive PRIMARILY because I keep losing pictures for various reasons and I would like to have a backup to go to in such casss.

I lost a huge irresplaceable bunch of pictures about 8 years or so ago when sbc yahoo quit providing storage for pictures on email accounts. I was on the computer when I got a message that I had to get my photos off ASAP or they were going to be gone forever. the message gave instructions what to do and all would have gone well probably had it not been for the fact (Murphy's Law) that at that critical time in the process my computer went down (power surge? or whatever) and all my files went floating off into cyberspace or thats the way I picture it. anyway.

The next time I lost a lot of pictures I thought I was covered. I had an Apple Desktop and a microsoft windows laptop and I looked at them as one of them in essence being a hard drive that just happened to have a computer attached to it so that would be my backup.

WRONG WRONG WRONG - it seems 3 young jerks came into my house through an open window (summertime) and helped themselves to both my laptop and my desktop iMac.

Then I've lost some here and there by deleting files trying to clean up duplicates and for some reason Iphoto has a way of deceiving you about how many actual files you have with a given name. Don't know how but someone else confirms that IPhoto is tricky this way..... Grrrrrr.

So now I want to have a hard drive just for backup stuff. OF COURSE I must take into account that it IS POSSIBLE for my home to be broken into again by young hoodlums confused about what means "mine" and "yours". If so, they could next time be able to add an external hard drive to their list of bounty.

See, this could get obsessive? So then I need to have an online backup place like right now I have DropBox which is essentially just storage the advantage is I can access all photos from either my Windows laptop or my Mac desktop. So I figure that ought to cover it OR MAYBE I need TWO storage places online in case of another event like the SBC Yahoo debacle.

I could use space here and there but I want it ALL in one place so I know there is somewhere that has everything, including my music collection. Then if I discover IPhoto has tricked me again I can refer to my EHD to restore what's missing.

Am I overlooking something? Anyway, what to look for in a hard drive? Which brands are most reliable. Are some easier to use than others? Price variants - are they merely due primarily to size or are there other reasons for some being high?

Thanks for your opinion if you care to give it and your sharing whatever you have picked up along he way
. :dance:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Personally I would back them up on two different ways (media).
Brand name drives only, Mirrored for data protection.

External Hard Drive and DVD or BluRay discs. BTW another way is to use a NAS drive with mirrored drives. They can sit anywhere on the network. That means you can run a network cable to a secure location (Ventilated) and access them from the computer. Computer on the first floor and NAS drive in the basement for example.

Put the Discs you burn somewhere else away from the computer so they are physically separated.

Remember one thing with hard drives. It isn't if they will die, it is when they will die.

If you go optical discs be sure and use a good brand such as Verbatim I exclude the Verbatim Life series junk they sell in stores . In the USA I have to buy mine over the internet.

Single layer DVDs hold over 4Gb and Single Layer BluRay discs hold over 22Gb per disc.

Do not delete based on name!

Edited by rotor123, 23 November 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Smart move, deciding to get an external backup drive.
You never realize how important the information you have on your computer is, until it's gone.
Then, it's too late. :)

The 2 types are; pre-built, and build yourself.
Either one will be suitable, for what you need.

I bought my first external drive (pre-built Seagate) in '07 and it's still going strong.
Since then, all of them have been self-assembled, using WD (Western Digital) drives.
I prefer WD, as they seem to have fewer problems, in my opinion.
It seems Seagate quality has suffered in the past few years.
The only brands I have experience with is WD, and Seagate, so I can't comment on the others.

I like the availability of options, using self-assembled; size, style, color, connections, etc.
Building your own, is a snap.
I can assemble one in 5 minutes, or less.

As you can see from my sig, I use a lot of backup drives.
Used to use the Rosewill RX35-AT-SU enclosures, with a 1TB WD drive, but have lately gone to the Sans Digital MS2T.
Never had any problems with the Rosewill, I just wanted to try something different. :)
I really like the Sans Digital because of it's ability to house 2 drives, and they are stackable.
Anything that allows me to save space, is a plus. :)

If you have an eSATA port on your computer, opt for an external drive that connects via eSATA.
It's a lot faster than USB.

Also, when not using the drive, turn it off.
That's less time it will be generating heat, which should add considerably to it's longevity.

Are some easier to use than others?

They are used the same way an internal drive is used.
Copy to, Move to, Drag-and-Drop all work the same, as an internal drive.

Price variants - are they merely due primarily to size or are there other reasons for some being high?

Size, manufacturer, and materials used are all a factor.

I also second rotor123's suggestion, of using disks (CD, DVD, or BR), also.
After all, external drives are mechanical, and prone to failure, so backing up to disk, adds an additional layer of protection.
No such thing as, too safe. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Gene Wiggins

Gene Wiggins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

Consider using the 3 - 2 - 1 rule.

Have your data in at least three places (working version plus two backups)

Use at least two different kinds of media

Be sure that at least one of the backups is off-site

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

There also exist Fire and water proof externals if that sort of thing worries you. Off site also prevents theft. If for example you have a Safety Deposit box the portable externals that use a 2.5" laptop drive would fit in easily. So would Discs burned in the computer.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

There also exist Fire and water proof externals if that sort of thing worries you. Off site also prevents theft. If for example you have a Safety Deposit box the portable externals that use a 2.5" laptop drive would fit in easily. So would Discs burned in the computer.

Hmmm, I don't like the idea of storing things in a Safety Deposit Box, I assume you mean one at a Bank. You never know when you need it and they are closed for this that and the other. But offsite is good.

Is there some other entity similar to DropBox I'd like to have two on-line accounts at different places.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Consider using the 3 - 2 - 1 rule.

Have your data in at least three places (working version plus two backups)

Use at least two different kinds of media

Be sure that at least one of the backups is off-site

That seems a reasonably safe plan.

Are there some that automatically update or do you have to remember to do it yourself? I'm really a novice where this is concerned and setting things up or putting things together is not among my best efforts. Whether its putting together a piece of furniture (even the ones that deceive by saying SIMPLE ASSEMBLY unless they mean it can be assembled by a simpleton which would be me.

Two of the scariest words in the English language that don't involve a personal threat to your/my safety: ASSEMBLY REQUIRED.

Hmmmm, I'm sure you have left some good info to consider thanks for that.

btw I have tried making a backup disk on two different microsoft laptops and on neither one have I been able to successfully back them up. It looks like its backing them up taking forever but then when you access it you always get a "temporary problem corrupted disks or whatever TRY AGAIN"

I'll think about it in the morning when my mind is fresh sounds like a good plan to me?

Anyway yeah thanks for the input to everyone.:clapping:

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

The Bank Safety Deposit Box was intended to be secure off site backup. The Only reason you would want to access it is to update it. The off site is only for use in case of theft of the primary or a disaster.

The off site should not be the only backup and should not need to be accessible around the clock.

167 @ June 2015

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

If you opt for an external drive I like Western Digital drives and buy them exclusively.
When you get one you want to go to their website www.wd.com and register it for warranty purposes.
I have never had a problem with Western Digital replacing a drive for any reason. They are very good about that & the reliability and virtually unquestioned warranty replacement is why I use only their brand.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users