Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:07 AM
I am not sure if I am in the right place this question, but here goes.
For several years now my computer worked fine without major problems, and then suddenly one day when I turned my pc on
there was a "no signal" message displayed on my monitor but windows was booting, as i can hear the Windows startup sound.
I tried reseating everything, but to no avail. I then tried plugging my monitor cable to the IGP of my motherboard and then it worked.
When I got inside Windows i checked my system properties and i saw that my memory got down from 3GB to 1.87GB, then i went to the device manager and there were no problems, I checked the display adapters and saw that my 8600GT video card is not on the list, it was only the onboard graphics that was there.
In my attempts of resolving my problem, these are the things i already tried:
- Bread-boarded the entire system
- Updated all drivers
- Cmos/BIOS reset
- BIOS Update
- Reseating of parts
- Cleaned the contacts of videocard and memory, also cleaned the slots.
- Tested my video card on another computer and it worked on the other pc.
- Tested my monitor together with the video card on another pc, also worked.
- Tried a new video card (9400GT) on my pc, it worked
- Replaced my motherboard, as i thought it was a pcie slot problem but it did not worked the results were still the same.
- Tried another power supply a slighty higher one (550W), still did not work.
- Tried connecting my pc to another monitor, still did not work.
- Tried also replacing the monitor cables, did not work.
- I tried putting an old geforce 7200GS and an old 7300GT video card and both worked on my computer, and tried my 8600gt on another computer and it worked on the other machine. Then I tried putting back my 8600gt on my computer same results but now the fans of the video card were spinning so fast.
Only thing i can't replace is the CPU and the memory, do those two could also have cause the problem?
I am now wondering what could be the problem, I tried different forums and there were not able to help me resolve this issue.
Any help would be appreciated as I have no ideas left what to do with this. I tried replacing my motherboard to a new one but it still did not work, so i would like to ask you guys here first before replacing anything, as i can't spend anymore money knowing that in the end it would still not work. Thanks in advance.
- Amd Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5GHz
- Kingston 2GB Ram
- Palit GeForce 8600GT Super+1GB
- Asus M2N-VM DVI
- Generic PSU 500W (Tornado)