Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive failure and lost files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 PWKilla

PWKilla

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

It occured when i tried to open internet explorer while google chrome was downloading a file. However, I have always been able to do this when I attempted it previously, so I am not sure what made this time different, but after i clicked on internet explorer, everything i had open got immediately closed, my screen flashed black, and when it was back at my desktop, all my icons were gone aside from Recycling bin, Microsoft Word, and Powerpoint, and like 50 little message windows opened one after the other saying that files may have been lost because of damage done to the C drive. I cannot preform a system restore because it says there are no previous restore points, and all of my files (documents, pictures, downloads, music, programs) are no longer on my computer for some reason? Is this just a problem with my C drive that can be fixed and restored? Or are all of my files gone for good? Also, my PCtools Spy Doctor ran a scan and said: Adware.BHO.GEN (20 Infections) - High Threat. I realize I have to get this problem fixed as well...I just want to know first if all my files are gone or if there is a way to get them back. Anybody who can help, I really, really appreciate it. Thanks (Oh and btw, I have a Dell Desktop, not a laptop, if that helps.)

Edited by PWKilla, 23 November 2011 - 01:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dwbarger

dwbarger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

I had the same issue the other day. I did have 1 restore point but all my personal files are gone, Icons are back for programs and seem to b working somewhat havent tried them all yet. My personal files contained all pics, vids, and receipts for my business for the year :( I have been told these are still on my computers hard drive I just have to find someone that knows how to locate them! good luck with that without paying outrageous prices for it. I did the virus scan and had a very and deleted them but no luck getting the files back. someone has 2 know what to do and how to fix it please!!!!!!

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi PWKilla,

I would check the integrity of your hard drive with the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic utility, then if the drive checks out "OK," run chkdsk /r to check for and fix any file, directory, or sector problems.

How To:
  • Click "Start," type: devmgmt.msc in the search box then press <Enter>. Accept the UAC prompt.
  • Click the (+) sign next to "Disk Drives" to identify your hard drive manufacturer.
  • Download your drive's diagnostic software linked from here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.
  • Run the software and note any reported problems. If you get a clean bill of health with the drive, run check disk as follows:
  • Click "Start", "All Programs," "Accessories," right mouse click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator."
  • Type: chkdsk /r and press <Enter>. (note the space between the "k" and "/")
  • Type "Y" to the message that the drive can not be locked because it is in use and will be checked at next boot.
  • Restart the computer. Check disk will now begin the first of five phases that could take several hours to complete. This can not be cancelled. It may appear to freeze at various points during the scan, but be patient.
  • If check disk reports that it fixed problems, I would run it again until it reports no issues.

It would then be advisable to post in the Am I Infected Forum?

Regards,
Brooks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

I suggest going to the Am I infected forum here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Do not remove any temporary files as that can lead to loss of your data etc.

This is most likely caused by the Virus that PcDoctor detected. I do not suspect a hard drive problem as a hard drive problem would not cause the symptoms you are seeing.

One other thought Do not buy programs that may be suggested on your computer as a fix for this problem. The most likely result of that would be giving your Credit Card number to a crook.

One other general thought, Never use a Debit card on the Internet.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 PWKilla

PWKilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Thank you to everyone who has tried helping me with this problem! Artrooks advice looked best so i've gone with that, so ive downloaded SeaGate SeaTools for Windows from that link you had available. When it was finished installing I cliked on Open and a message came up saying Scanning For Supported Drivers. Then when that was finished, a bigger window opened with the Sea Tools for Windows logo at the top, and on the left hand side it said "Detected Drivers". Underneath that there is another heading saying "PATA-SATA" and two drivers listed underneath that, and then another heading underneath those that says "USB-1394" and that is where i believe my C drive is, labeled as Dell USB Mass Storage and beside that it says Test Unavailable. I am not sure where to go from here. When i click the box beside Dell USB Mass Storage the "Basic TeSsts" icon lights up, so i click on it and it gives me a list of 6 options (S.M.A.R.T Check, Short Drive Self Test, Drive Information, Short Genaric, Long Genaric, Advanced Tests). The first three options do not work, I tried them and it said Test Unavailable beside my USB Mass Storage Device. Any ideas? Did i perhaps not download the correct software from that weblink? Is there a way that Short Genaric, Long Genaric, or Advanced Tests could help if i run them?

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

I am assuming when you checked Device Manager, it showed that you had a Seagate Hard drive.

Your drive should be listed as a PATA or SATA drive.

Put a check next to one drive at a time then go to top menu "Basic tests" and run "Smart" first (note if it passes or fails) and then run "Short Drive Self Test." If both drives pass SMART and Short test, try the Long Generic. The drives should pass all tests.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi PWKilla,

I'm with rotor123 on this..Sounds like an infection..I would also recommend posting in the Am I Infected forum

Pauline

#8 PWKilla

PWKilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the Am I Infected forum, I have posted my problem there as well so hopefully they will help me with my virus. Thank you as well to Artrooks for some more good information on my situation. So i preformed both tests on both drives and they both passed which is awesome, but now im afraid i've run into a problem when i reach this next point in your instructions: •Click "Start", "All Programs," "Accessories," right mouse click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator."
When i click Start and All Programs my Accessories file isnt there because all my files were wiped out. When trying to type "dskchk /r" into the file search and clicking enter a window seems to pop up for a quick second but close before i have a chance to do anything, let alone get a good look at what the box says.

Edited by PWKilla, 24 November 2011 - 04:07 AM.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi PWKilla,

I'm glad you also posted in the "Am I infected forum."

Try this for Check Disk:
  • Double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or in your start menu.
  • Right click on your system drive, usually C:, and click "properties."
  • Select "Tools" tab, then under "Error checking" click "Check now."
  • Make sure that both boxes are checked then click "Start."
  • Click "Schedule disk check" then reboot your computer.
  • Chkdsk can take several hours to complete and should not be interrupted.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

I'm going to suggest doing nothing until the all clear from the Am I Infected forum. From my reading there they prefer the user do nothing to fix the problem except what they have the user do.

PWKilla I suggest making no changes to the hard drive, You have one of the viruses that hides everything and puts up dire warnings about the hard drive. Usually accompanied with pushing a bogus piece of software that can do miracles, It can't help. All that does is give your credit card information to the crook that infected you. I know one person that used a debit card and they sucked over $4000 from his checking account.

At this moment as long as you do nothing except under the advice of the Am I Infected people your data is safe.
I just worked on a computer for someone with the same problem, Everything disappeared. I am still doing some cleaning, but everything is back. I suspect you visited a malicious website and / or clicked on a malicious pop-up advertisement.

Stick with the Am I infected forum until the all clear and then come back here for help if they suggest it.

All is not lost, You just need to be patient.
Good Luck

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

Also do not bump your post as they look for messages with 0 (Zero) replies to know who hasn't been helped as I understand it.

167 @ June 2015

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

AII topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic429128.html/page__p__2485210#entry2485210 .

To prevent confusion, I am closing this topic.

In the event that it merits reopening after your AII topic is terminated...just send me a PM :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users