Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find Product key for XP on PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2xline

2xline

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Been awhile but I still have a sick PC (custom built with no windows XP sticker on it)resting in the basement. I still believe some virus is in system but so many files are missing now or corrupted a fresh start is needed. Problem I do not know product key code number for the XP pro that is installed. Worst my attempt to use a key finder program has not worked. Installer error; GUI prevents all new programs from installing.

First I heard it is nearly impossible to find key in registry. Does anyone know if it is possible? Next are there any programs to find key that would not have to be installed on PC? How are they used if available?
I found product ID listed in a couple of places but they do not appear to be actual key. I think key is a 25 characters item and both product ID numbers I found are 20.

A friend loaned me his install CD for OEM XP Pro, but I do not want to use his key without permission.
Sick PC is not Windows 7 ready, little old and slow for that. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by 2xline, 23 November 2011 - 09:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

It should be on the computer. If it's a desktop, it will be on the disc tower somewhere. If a laptop, likely on the bottom somewhere.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Magical Jelly Bean (free) will work on a healthy computer. Thats what I always use.
If the system is sick / infected, first try to remove the infections (You can post in the Am I Infected area of the forum).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users