Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tcfaullw

tcfaullw

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

I have a desktop computer running Windows XP Home Edition. While using Microsoft Outlook I heard what sounded like the power shutting off, but the screen stayed on with Outlook still showing; however the computer would not do anything. I powered off the system and powered back on, but it would not boot up -- stuck in a loop. I selected last know and safe mode options, but it was still stuck in a loop. I tried using Microsoft Windows Recovery Console which was already installed. It went to a BSOD that said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, STOP: 0X000000ED (0X89B4B430, OXC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000). I tried booting from a Windows CD and it went to a BSOD that said STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR, \SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL. I have not installed/uninstalled any software or added/removed any hardware. The information I have found seems to suggest that the problem is a corrupted Windows file, but I am not sure how to fix it if that is indeed the true problem. Basically I have a large paper weight at this point and time. Have I lost all my e-mail messages, contacts, files, etc.?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Please post make/model of system

Do you have access to an original WIndows XP cd?
If so, boot to that and follow the prompts to load the recovery console
From the recovery console prompt type

chkdsk /r

And hit enter. It could take hours to run so go do something and check on it occasionally.

See if that helps

Might also ne a hard drive that is failing and needs to be replaced.
What data is on the drive that needs to be saved in a worse case scenario?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

Let's firstly try and get some more information on the BSOD that occurs when you attempt to start the computer normally, and then I will take it that you do have an XP installation CD but that booting from it to access the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r is not possible ("I tried booting from a Windows CD and it went to a BSOD that said STOP: C0000221"). Before attempting to repair what seems most likely to be disk system file corruption, but could also possibly be a hard drive problem, you should retrieve copies of your important files and then test the hard drive.

Step 1: Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Step 2: Backup your files. Retrieve copies of all personal valued data from the problematic hard drive ("Have I lost all my e-mail messages, contacts, files, etc.?")

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

Step 3: Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

Step 4: If you are not able to run chkdsk /r in the usual way (from the Recovery Console after booting with an XP installation CD), then I suggest the following as an alternative, which will hopefully enable the system to start normally afterward. (Ensure that you have recovered copies of your important files before attempting this step.)

Please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.
  • Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
  • Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
  • When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
  • Insert blank CD and click OK.
  • The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.
Run chkdsk.
  • Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
  • Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
  • After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
    You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
    At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
  • Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
    Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
    Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
(With thanks to noahdfear for the above tool and instructions.)

Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

----------
As an example of a successful outcome after running this tool, see the following ....
Anne_ATL: "I cannot get into my computer even in safe mode, how can I fix or at least personal files off"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404710.html/page__view__findpost__p__2312856

EUREKA!!!! :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

At least for now, I have not checked everything to confirm that I did not lose anything, but I am at the desktop.

Thank you so much! :flowers:

Please let us know how you get on.

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 November 2011 - 06:16 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Inquisitor,

You are correct -- "I will take it that you do have an XP installation CD but that booting from it to access the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r is not possible."

After following your instructions the error message I received is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical information

*** STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8AA32C98, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I still have to try the other steps to recover the information from the disk, but I wanted to get this to you first.

Thank You

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Very good: Thank you. That is consistent.

Because you report "I tried booting from a Windows CD and it went to a BSOD that said STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR, \SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL." I can assume that the hard drive is being detected in BIOS and that the problem lies in a Windows system file, my instructions remain valid. Please continue with the steps provided.

Let us know how you get on ... or if you have any problems along the way.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

The hard drive is most likely failing and has bad sectors. I would say the more you fool with it, the worse it will get. Back up your data any way you can, perhaps with a live CD or by temporarily hooking it up to another computer. Then run the factory diagnostics on the drive, which are usually available on line. That sound you heard was more than likely a mechanical failure, so there's no point, in my opinion, wasting anymore time on it, it's the information on it that's important.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

AustrAlien,

I used Puppy Linux and was able to access the HD. Although you said I should backup all the files before proceeding I decided to take a chance to see what would happen if I rebooted the system. When I did, it went to a blue screen where it ran check disk. I wasn't watching that closely (I didn't think it was going to work), but it said something about recovering a deleted or corrupted file. I ran the short and long test using SeaTools for DOS and they both passed; nothing came up about repairing the HD. I then ran chkdsk using NTBR_CD; there were no errors found or corrections made. Could it be a HD problem that is intermittent and will occur again? Is there a way to make an image of the HD onto another HD so that if it does crash I can simply put the imaged HD in without having to do any thing to make it work? My thoughts were I could use an IDE HD Enclosure to make the image (if possible) and have it available if the one in the system crashes.

Thank You

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

You haven't actually stated that you are now able to start the computer and that the Windows system is now starting and running normally ... but I infer from what you have said that you have had a little good luck and all seems to be well again. Please confirm.

That's a good result with SeaTools.

You asked: "Is there a way to make an image of the HD onto another HD .... "
Download Seagate's DiscWizard , read all about it and use it. It will do what you need to do, it is good, reliable software ... and what's more it is free!

You asked: "Could it be a HD problem that is intermittent and will occur again?"
At this stage, it appears to have been a disk file system problem (corruption), and not an actual hard drive problem, but yes a file system problem can occur at any time, most likely any time there is an un-timely shutdown of the computer (eg power blackout, or using the OFF button to turn off the computer and not shutting it down in the correct manner). It is normally corrected using chkdsk (with a switch to find and repair file system problems, ie. either chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r).

It was very convenient to have chkdsk run a scan and repair the problem for you: Let's have a look at the log to see what it did (it is likely there was a log recorded and saved, but there is a chance that a log was not saved).

A log of the disk check is recorded.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

If you can't find the log made by chkdsk, then please run chkdsk again following the instructions, and post the log.
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

AustrAlien,

You are correct, the system is now operating normally. I have posted four Winlogon files, sorted by date and time. What steps should I take next?

Thank You

***********************************************************************************

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/24/2011
Time: 11:56:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOMETEL
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Local Disk.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 2459 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2459 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2459 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

156288320 KB total disk space.
35703000 KB in 167634 files.
72868 KB in 15148 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
297492 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
120214960 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
39072080 total allocation units on disk.
30053740 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
90 03 03 00 09 ca 02 00 4c 6a 04 00 00 00 00 00 ........Lj......
94 04 00 00 02 00 00 00 25 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........%.......
60 e8 00 07 00 00 00 00 26 dc 6a 56 00 00 00 00 `.......&.jV....
34 0c a6 19 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 c0 83 41 7f 00 00 00 00 ..........A.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 80 35 07 00 d2 8e 02 00 ..6......5......
00 00 00 00 00 60 23 83 08 00 00 00 2c 3b 00 00 .....`#.....,;..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

***********************************************************************************

Time: 1:40:05 PM
Description:

A disk check has been scheduled.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 5 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

35682584 KB in 167603 files.
72880 KB in 15148 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
296984 KB in use by the system.
120235872 KB available on disk.

30058968 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
90 03 03 00 ea c9 02 00 15 6a 04 00 00 00 00 00 .........j......
94 04 00 00 02 00 00 00 8f 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
82 ae e6 06 00 00 00 00 2a 1d ea 55 00 00 00 00 ........*..U....
b8 f4 a0 0c 00 00 00 00 06 b0 27 e1 04 00 00 00 ..........'.....
52 fd b7 98 05 00 00 00 7c 5d 5d eb 0a 00 00 00 R.......|]].....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a8 39 07 00 b3 8e 02 00 ..6......9......
00 00 00 00 00 60 e4 81 08 00 00 00 2c 3b 00 00 .....`......,;..

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 1002
Date: 1/23/2011
Time: 2:40:52 PM
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Time: 6:10:53 PM
Description:

Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.

35576360 KB in 167450 files.
72832 KB in 15137 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
296984 KB in use by the system.
120342144 KB available on disk.

30085536 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
90 03 03 00 46 c9 02 00 27 69 04 00 00 00 00 00 ....F...'i......
94 04 00 00 02 00 00 00 94 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00 d3 93 a6 f7 ff ff ff 80 11 3c 55 00 00 00 00 ..........<U....
80 58 84 0c 00 00 00 00 00 98 3b 9e f7 ff ff ff .X........;.....
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 2d 4f 0b f8 ff ff ff .........-O.....
00 00 75 00 00 00 00 00 2c cf 96 00 1a 8e 02 00 ..u.....,.......
00 00 00 00 00 a0 68 7b 08 00 00 00 21 3b 00 00 ......h{....!;..

#10 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

AustrAlien,

I ran check disk again with the Windows Error checking utility. Posted below is the Winlogon file. Will it have errors every time or should it report zero?

Thank You

Date: 11/28/2011
Time: 10:53:30 AM
Description:

Cleaning up 28 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 28 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 28 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

35582028 KB in 164061 files.
72968 KB in 15166 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
296476 KB in use by the system.
120336848 KB available on disk.

30084212 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
90 03 03 00 26 bc 02 00 6b 4e 04 00 00 00 00 00 ....&...kN......
95 04 00 00 02 00 00 00 b0 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
90 d5 ed 06 00 00 00 00 bc 1b 09 56 00 00 00 00 ...........V....
b8 f4 a0 0c 00 00 00 00 54 ac ca d0 04 00 00 00 ........T.......
2a cd 21 a0 05 00 00 00 80 63 84 e2 0a 00 00 00 *.!......c......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a8 39 07 00 dd 80 02 00 ..6......9......
00 00 00 00 00 30 c1 7b 08 00 00 00 3e 3b 00 00 .....0.{....>;..

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

it went to a blue screen where it ran check disk ...... it said something about recovering a deleted or corrupted file

Unfortunately, there is no mention of the file in question ("recovering a deleted or corrupted file") in the logs posted, so we have no indication of which file was having the problem. Not to worry!

"7 unused index entries" might be about the best you are able to achieve: It is certainly satisfactory, and somewhat of an improvement on "2459 unused index entries". Sometimes it is just not possible (or feasible) to reduce the number to zero, although many times it can be done relatively easily. I generally figure that whatever remains after running chkdsk (with a switch) 3 times, can stay as it is until the next time. I try to remember to get around to performing a chkdsk every few months ... or more often (every few weeks) if the system has encountered any problems.

There's nothing more we can do for now: If the system is running well, all is good!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

AustrAlien,

Thank you for all your help. The system seems to be running fine now -- hope it stays that way. :thumbsup:

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Pleased to be able to help out.

Take care, and good luck.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users