Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox hangs trying to download or use options menu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KazF

KazF

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I have Firefox 8 and every time I try to download anything, it freezes (hangs), so I have to shut it down with task manager. I wanted to try some of the suggestions on the Mozilla support pages, but if I open the download or options menus, it freezes.

I have Windows XP, and a Dell Dimension 4600. I believe I've had this problem since Firefox 6. I also tried a suggestion of renaming places.sqlite by adding .old to it and restarting Firefox so that it generates a new places.sqlite file, but that doesn't help.

Does anyone know what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

How about other browsers? Did you check if you have the latest java and adobe flash,clear cache files? Have you tried reinstalling FF? What protections softwares are installed on your PC? Firewall, scanners, Antivirus.

Tekken

#3 KazF

KazF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

I updated Java and Flash, and deleted the cache files. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help either. During uninstallation, I did not check the box that would delete my personal info --forms, bookmarks, etc-- so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I can download fine with Explorer, and my virus/firewall is McAfee Antivirus Plus.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Make sure if you have Mcafee Firewall feature is enabled, Windows firewall is not running. Disable Mcafee Netguard and see if it makes a difference.

Tekken

#5 KazF

KazF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

I do have McAfee firewall working, and I unticked the Net Guard box, but it didn't have an effect. It turns out I had Windows firewall on, but disabling it didn't work either.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

Do you have any Add-ons installed in Firefox? Custom theme? If yes, have you tried disabling them?

Any download managers installed on your computer?

If you don't mind the inherent risks, you could also give Firefox 9 Beta a try.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users