Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus and firewall protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TracyHL

TracyHL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi, I can use a computer but truly know little about them. I am currently using Norton Security Suite as my antivirus software and Malwarebytes for malware. I somehow was infected by a rootkit virus and the IT department at my university helped me to remove it. In the process of doing so, they advised me that Norton is very unreliable, mostly because it is so common hackers often write codes to work around it. In the process of cleaning my computer they installed Spybot to search for the problem and Combofix to remove the rootkit once they determined that was the problem. It appears they removed Combofix but Spybot is still installed. Should I remove Spybot as well?

I have always been told you should only run 1 antivirus and think I should get rid of Norton b/c of the reason listed above. Any comments or suggestions on that? Do you recommend a particular antivirus program? I've been told Microsoft security essentials is a good one, but would like any input you may have b/c I know there are tons of different ones out there.

Also, I know I need a firewall but not completely sure what it actually does. If you're able to give me a layman's explanation that would be great :) I have Windows Firewall which, when I open it up it says Norton 360 is currently managing, not sure if I set it up that way or if that's the default when Norton is installed. Should whatever virus protection I use be set up to manage the firewall? Is Windows Firewall a decent one to use?

Do I need antivirus, spyware, and malware programs or do antivirus programs do it all?

Other than running virus scans, what should I be doing regularly to keep my computer clean and virus-free?

In case it helps you to answer, I'm running Windows 7, 64bit system

Sorry if I rambled or asked too many questions at once. Just hoping to learn more about this stuff so I can avoid anymore problems. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by TracyHL, 22 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer. You ask some very common questions we get here at Bleeping Computer. There is a topic that was recently created to address the most common ones.

Please take a look here: Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

If you have additional questions after reviewing that topic please don't hesitate to ask here in this thread.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users