Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV 2011 virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Does anyone know of a virus by the name of AV 2011. This appaently appeared on my friend's computer. After starting the computer thw computer will freeze up and the computer but wants to download this virus. This is all the infromation I have at the current time. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I found the information I requested on the AV 2011 Virus here on this website: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-protection-2011 My friend is running windows XP with SP3. The removal instructions on this sight talks about how to remove this when there is IE on the computer. My friend has something else besided IE. I will need to look at her computer again to see exactly what she has for her server, but I think it is opera Firefox. I can't get on line with her computer. Is there a standalone Malwarebytes program that I can download from this website onto my computer, burn it, and take it to her computer?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Can your friend reboot in "safe mode with networking? If so, try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from that mode.

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or preferably a blank CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected". Some flash drives have a switch on the side or on the back as shown here which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.

If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup file directly from the flash drive or CD and install the program on the hard drive.

My friend has something else besided IE.

If using FireFox, refer to these instructions to check and configure Proxy Settings under Advanced Options > Network tab > Connection Settings.

Even though your friend my not be using IE, it is most likely still installed on the machine. If so, double-check those settings as directed in the guide you followed.

Edited by quietman7, 28 November 2011 - 09:13 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users