Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google keeps redirecting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Garett9

Garett9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

First of my moms computer hasn't had an up to date anti-virus program for well over a year.
Three days ago her computer was infected with AV Protection 2011.
Downloaded PC tools to try to remove AV Protection 2011.
During the download of PC tools started receiving warnings and messages telling me I needed to download System Fix.
I figured it was another malware and ignored the messages and continued downloading PC tools.
after running PC tools and restarting the computer all desktop icons and start menue icons were missing.
I opened C:/ using task manager and System Fix icon was still on desktop.
*Started following "Remove System Fix (Uninstall Guide)" from this website
*Started following "How to remove Google Redirects or the TDSS, TDL3, or Alureon rootkit using TDSSKiller" from this website
On step 5 TDSSKiller will not run, origianaly named file trucks.com, then named it iexplore.com
Went to Neighbors house and downloaded TDSSKiller to my thumb drive (program opened and worked on neighbors computer).
My moms computer would not open the thumb drive.
Went back to Neighbors and burned TDSSKiller to a CD-RW.
Still same result as when downloaded direct to infected computer will not run
When TDSSKiller icon is double clicked the same warning box opens as in the instructions, after pushing the run button nothing happens.
Also tried running TDSSKiller in Safe mode W/networking and still did'n work
*Currently following "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help"
On step #7 DDS starts and freezes to the point that the only way to continue is to hold down the Computers power button to shut it off
On step #8 creating GMER log i encountered problems with being able to choose the same options as in the guide
If looking at step 8 figure 13 most of the check boxes are grayed out and not valid options except; Services, Registry, Files, C:\, and ADS

I have also downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and anso Unhide.exe
The Malwarebytes is continuously blocking websites since its install

I've been at it for Three days and am at the point of wanting to go to Sam's Club and just buy a new computer, Help Please

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Garett9

Garett9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

oops forgot a couple of things

some where in the middle to day two also encountered a third Malware infection called Privacy Protection
Currently there are no traces of any of the three main malware infections so i'm assuming between PC Tools and Malwarebytes they are gone
But still having issues with Google search redirects

#3 Gammo

Gammo

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

Posted Image
  • Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

Posted Image
  • Click the Start Scan button.

Posted Image
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

Posted Image
  • Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:

Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop *

IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

Please make sure you include the ComboFix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

Posted Image

Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!
My help is always free, but if I have helped you, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against malware! Posted Image

#4 Garett9

Garett9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

Getting worse

20 min after my last post 2 days ago I lost internet connection. just says acquirering network address. diagnostic said Winsock needed to be reset. tried resetting 3 times, twice using the diagnostic tool and last using command prompt still nothing. So my current troubleshooting is being done with the help of my neighbors computer making things a little slower.

I burned the TDSSKiller and Combofix to a CD-RW and then saved them both to the infected computer desktop

The TDSSKiller still will not run

When running Combofix, about 10 min into starting it a pop up window said Rootkit detected this may take several minutes. I hit the OK button as it was the only option and it didn't do anything. it was that way for almost 2 hrs. when I check back the computer was froze

#5 Gammo

Gammo

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

I'm sorry for my late reponse.

Please rename TDSSKiller and ComboFix to something random, and after doing that try running them again.

If they still won't run, try running them in Windows Safe Mode. You can can start you PC in safe mode by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter. :)

Edited by Gammo, 28 November 2011 - 04:04 PM.

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if I have helped you, please consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against malware! Posted Image

#6 Gammo

Gammo

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users