Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How are files re-saved to disc memory?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mike812

mike812

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

I recently set-up a SSD drive and I understand how SSDs work and why one should limit write cycles to protect the SSD.

However, I'm missing a fundamental piece of computer knowledge (Windows XP on NTFS) that may impact the amount of memory cell writing. I can't find the answer by googling!

Q1. How is a re-saved file (e.g. a Thunderbird Inbox, or an existing Word file) dealt with at SSD memory level?

a) Is the original file un-moved from it's original memory allocation, with ONLY the new data (from the resultant shutdown of Thuderbird or save command within Word) located on new memory pages?

OR

B) Is the modified Inbox file or Word file written to completely NEW memory pages?

If the latter, then a continuously modified file (like an Inbox or email folder - that could also be very large in size) will keep using up new memory, hence reducing the life of the SSD.

I would therefore be grateful if anyone could either answer this 'simple' question and/or point me to some technical sites that have the information.

Many thanks
Mike

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2011 - 06:48 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

http://elitepcbuilding.com/ssd-vs-hdd

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I was wondering if Windows Shadow Copy Service would be storing copies of these files; however, it seems that in Windows XP, the storage is only temporary.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
The Volume Snapshot Service was first added to Microsoft Windows in Windows XP; this version of VSS is used by NTBackup, however it can only create non-persistent snapshots (a temporary snapshot, usually used for creating a file-based backup or more generally, accessing copies of files that have been locked by applications for editing); therefore NTBackup uses a proprietary BKF file format to store the shadow copies permanently.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users