Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Warning pop-up virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 liquiphyde

liquiphyde

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hello,
There are two 'System Warning' signs that pop up. The first says, "Keep your computer safe from viruses and malicious programs that can slow down or break your system." The second says, "Spyware protection disabled. Your personal data is at high risk of being stolen and misused." I have found a post on your website that explains exactly what is happening to my computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic416111.html

I can't run regedit, task manager, etc. It will either not open, or open for a split second. I have ran MBAM, and everytime it says it has found something such as trojans, but I can quaranteen and remove them, start another scan and it will find more. I have tried to run SuperAntiSpyware as well. Both programs I have ran several times. The SAS interface does not look the same as when I first downloaded, so I figured the virus may have penetrated it, and went ahead and uninstalled it. At this point I have read what you recommended the person in the post above and tried to expedite it; i first ran the Defogger, it said it was successful, but it did not ask to reboot. I'm having problems with the DDS program. I run it and the black screen appears, it then disappears and nothing else happens. The log from the GMER is attached below.

Attached File  ark.log   3.63KB   3 downloads

I stopped at this point to see what expertise and recommendations you have for me to do. Thank You for your help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hello liquiphyde,
  • Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
  • My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean".
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

• Finally, please reply using the ADD REPLY button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.

We will need a little more information first before we clean this up.

• 1. Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • This is THE Mirror
    2. Save it to your desktop.
    3. Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
    4. Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

5. Push the Quick Scan button.
    6. Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
  • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Things to include in your next reply::
otl.txt
extra.txt
aswMbr log

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

This topic has been re-opened at the request of the person who originally posted.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#5 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Ok, thank you so much, here are the logs that were generated from scans.

Attached File  OTL.Txt   72.85KB   2 downloads
Attached File  Extras.Txt   37.12KB   0 downloads
Attached File  aswMBR.txt   1.45KB   5 downloads

One of the programs asked me to update, using avast; however, I declined and ran the scan.

#6 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hello liquiphyde,
    Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
    [list]
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

This tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

• Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may cause it to stall.

TDSSKIller log
Combofix.txt
How is the machine running now?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#7 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

Ok, I ran the TDSS program and it did not find any threats. I ran the ComboFix and it said the machine was infected with the Rootkit.ZeroAccess. The original balloon that said I was infected no longer appears; however, the internet stopped working and I also get a balloon saying the firewall is not turned on with no antivirus protection. I tried to turn the firewall on, but it said, "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/(ICS) Service." The Combofix said to reboot the machine if the internet was not working. If that doesn't fix it then to run Combofix one more time. So I did, but the internet is still not working. Below are the logs, of course, Combofixlog2 is the second time I ran it:

Attached File  TDSSKiller.2.6.21.0_29.11.2011_09.54.21_log.txt   60.95KB   2 downloads
Attached File  Combofixlog.txt   13.57KB   3 downloads
Attached File  Combofixlog2.txt   10.95KB   2 downloads

Thank you so much for the work you have already done fireman4it!

#8 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hello,
We need to have a file checked. We also need to get a Recovery Console in place on your machine. We will atatempt to get your internet back up and running also.

1. Please try the following commands.
  • Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connection ->Network Connections.
  • Right-click your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection (if you are using dial-up), and left-click on the Properties option.
  • Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • Click OK twice.
    spacer.gif
  • Go to Start -> Run...
  • In the Open: field type cmd and click OK or hit Enter.
    This will open a Command Prompt.
  • At the DOS prompt screen, type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press Enter (notice the space between "ipconfig" and "/flushdns").
  • Exit the Command Prompt.
  • Reboot your PC and try to open any website.

If that doesn't work try this:
  • Go to Start -> Run...
  • In the Open: field type cmd and click OK or hit Enter.
    This will open a Command Prompt.
  • At the DOS prompt screen, type in netsh winsock reset and then press Enter (notice the space between each word).
  • Exit the Command Prompt.
  • Reboot your PC and try to open any website.

If that still doesn't do it please run this tool and post the log.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure "Include All Files" option remains checked.
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Please click this link-->Jotti

When the jotti page has finished loading, click the Browse button and navigate to the following file and click Submit.

c:\windows\advdebugacct.exe

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have the Windows Recovery Console pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Go to Microsoft's website => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System

Posted Image

Download the file & save it as it's originally named.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

Posted Image

• Drag the setup package onto ComboFix.exe and drop it.
  • Follow the prompts to start ComboFix and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Recovery Console.

Posted Image
  • At the next prompt, click 'Yes' to run the full ComboFix scan.
  • When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt and new HiJAckThis log in your next reply.

FSS.txt
JOtti results
Combofix.txt
How is the machine running now? Internet working?

Edited by fireman4it, 29 November 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#9 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hello,
I got back on the computer to start doing what you requested and the original virus warning balloon reappeared. I have not done anything to the computer since then, nor will I until this is finished. Should I continue to do what you requested in the last reply or do you want me to take a different route?

#10 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

Yes please continue

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#11 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hello,
I tried, but to no avail. When I ran the command prompt the screen will open for a split second then disappear. I was able to run the last program and the log is below:

Attached File  FSS.txt   976bytes   4 downloads

The same thing happened as in the beginning when I tried to run regedit and task manager. It would appear then disappear

#12 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Earlier on ComboFix installed the Recovery Console. We're going to use that now.

Reboot your machine and when the Boot Menu flashes up - select "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"
(you need to be very fast with the arrow key as you only have a couple of seconds before it defaults to the windows XP bootup)

Posted Image

Posted Image

When you get to the above screen, take note of the number that references your operating system.

If it's '1' like the picture above, type 1 and press Enter
Posted Image

Next type FIXMBR

Posted Image

If it ask if you're sure you want to write a new MBR, answer 'Y'

Then type EXIT to reboot the machine.

With that done, please post back and let me know how things are now.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#13 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

The option to select the recovery console was not there. When I ran the combofix it never did ask me to install anything so I assumed it was already on the machine as it went on to scan for malware.

#14 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Are you able to burn Cd's and have access to a USB Flash Drive?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#15 liquiphyde

liquiphyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

I haven't tried to burn any CDs lately. Flash drive has neen working fine. Are you wanting me to have that file scanned by Jotti from another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users