Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7's boot up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Newly installed "Windows 7":
Each time I boot up this box comes up.
(The color scheme has been changed)
The following program has performed an action that requires Windows to temporarily change the color scheme to Windows Basic 7.
Program: qttask.exe
Publisher: Apple Computer Inc.
Process Identifier (PID) 3716
Windows will automatically change the color scheme back to Windows Aero when this program or other programs performing similar actions are no longer running.
Why are some visual elements being turned off?

I clicked on that link and a box (Windows Help & Support) came up. Clicked on that and (The Aero Trouble Shooter) came up. Clicked on that and new box (Troubleshoot & Prevent Computer Problems) Clicked next. Trouble shooter took action and "Desktop Windows Manager is now disabled", current themedoesn't support Aero.
Each time I boot up the same (Color scheeme has etc. etc error come up.
What in the h--- is this all about.
UncleMarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

qttask.exe is part of Apple's QuickTime media player and also (I believe) part of iTunes. It launches at every boot so as to make playing Quicktime media slightly faster. For some reason, qttask.exe is doing something that makes Windows think it should disable the desktop effects. This type of behavior is more commonly found in older software written before Windows Vista was released. If your version of QuickTime (or iTunes) is that old, it is rather important for you to install the latest version for security and stability reasons.

If you have the latest version already, or if updating doesn't fix the problem, you can simply remove the qttask.exe entry from your system's start up sequence. This won't have any negative effects on QuickTime, iTunes, or your system. You can use the built-in MSConfig tool to disable the qttask start up entry:
Posted Image

Edited by Andrew, 22 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users