Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows and Software Garbage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hey everybody, I own a laptop (see specs on my signature) with my HDD partitioned in two halfs.
My OS is running smoothly, but my C:\ is full of crap still after my CCleaner scan, and manual uninstall of things.

Now I have 4GB free on my C:\, I need some more though, can I do it without a clean install???

Do you recommend any software? (I can pay for one, so go ahead and recommend ANY)

Thanx!

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

You can use the following tool...to see what files/folders need to be moved from the Winmdows partition.

You cannot move programs or system files...but you need to move video/graphics/music files from the Windows partition.

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

Louis

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Thank you Louis, wasnt aware of this program!

I see my System Volume Information is occuping 11+GB at least on my C:\ drive.
Is it safe to delete it?
I have my System Restore on for some safety and I know that many useless info is going in there.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

You cannot delete it...it's a system folder and Windows won't allow deletion.

It is related to the Windows System Restore feature...if you use SR, then there will always be something in those folders.

Although you cannot delete the System Volume folders...you can empty them periodically by just temporarily disabling SR in Windows. There should be a tab for it when you right-click on My Computer and click Properties.

There should be a box for turning off SR on all drives.

Do that and it will empty folder contents.

If you use System Restore, you can re-enable SR and it will start over.

I don't use SR, so mine is always one of the first things I disable...I rely upon backups that I periodically make and don't need SR as a safety net.

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/101-227398

Tekken

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

You could also reduce the amount of hard drive space allocated to System Restore. That way would have a few points to fall back on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/reduce-system-restores-disk-usage-in-vista/

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Thank you all for the fast replies, they have gained me back 11GB!

I wonder though, is there anything else that windows might occupy space like SR?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

You could disable hibernation...and save anywhere from 1 to 3 GB of hard drive space.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Although someone will undoubtedly suggest disabling various services...I suggest that you leave services alone.

Louis

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview//

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users