Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Privacy Protection without admin priviledges

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gonnapartyalot

Gonnapartyalot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm not that great a writer, so I'll just make all the details as shor and simple as I can.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-privacy-protection
the guide I was using to fix my problem, also has all the lettle details about the Virus.

I am using a school-provided laptop for an AP class.

It is a 2004 Dell with Windows XP installed.

The specific Malware is a devious bit of binaric called "Privacy protection" which mimics as a anti-malware program. It constantly shows fake scans, alerts, and won't allow me to run executables(resovled by switching to safe mode). According to the guide provided (which is from this site) it often comes with rootkits.

I had come in contact with a similar virus before, so turned off my computer and set it to safe mode with networking. However, I didn't fix it the first time (my dad did). It also didn't have the ability to block executables(this one does), it merely minimized all other tabs and begged for your attention(made playing Counter-Strike a nightmare).

The specific issue is that I cannot install RKill or mbam due to lack of admin priviledges(students are not gien admin priveldges for school computers). At first I thought it was file location, but the error pop-up pops up before you choose that (it pops up after you select the language for the wizard).

Are there any relatively simple alternatives to removing the malware?

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2011 - 01:20 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users