Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

worst paswords list published by time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

You would think that with things on the internet concerning security these days people would.., I dont know change their passowrds... well I guess not according to time:

http://techland.time.com/2011/11/22/the-25-most-popular-and-worst-passwords-of-2011/

Here’s a pro tip: If your password is “password,” it’s probably time to change it.

SplashData, a company that offers a “complete password management and security solution,” culled from data stolen and posted online by hackers some of the most awesomely bad (and yet commonly used) passwords of all time. And while the research is for 2011, this isn’t the first such list–if you’ve seen one of these before, you’ll probably notice several culprits reappearing from years past.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/11/22/the-25-most-popular-and-worst-passwords-of-2011/#ixzz1eRaqGUaW

Edited by Andrew, 22 November 2011 - 01:44 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved To Security News from General Chat - AA

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

Good tip computerxpds!

I cant tell you how many systems I see that when I request the password I tell the customer that it is hacker ready!
You are making it easy for them!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 HonestAbe

HonestAbe

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

haha, ya. i personally change my password once a month. just somthing that relates to me, an inside joke perhaps, that no one save me and mabey one other person would know. i mean, its nothing compared to "8J(@jcd90@#)@Ngfdsj" but it gets the job done :hysterical:
"Cogeto Ergo Sum"
I think, therfore i am.
Guns dont kill people, stupid people kill people.

#4 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

I usually advise people to use things that have absolutely nothing to do with them, like the name of an obscure actor, then rearrange it and change characters, and NEVER let Windows or IE remember them. Too many times, I was able to guess a password with just the most basic knowledge about a person like a favorite sports team, or grandkids' names. Some people even flat out tell you what the password is in the "hint" at the logon screen. Once logged on, all of their instant messengers (Yahoo, Myspace, etc.)open up already logging in. Click on Internet Explorer, and Facebook pops up, already logged in. Unbelievable.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

xkcd Password Strength apparently MickyDonaldGoofyPlutoMinnieSnowWhite actually works better then most passwords nowadays.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 28 November 2011 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

yes but see the issue with that is that it is easily guessable by a human. If i were to write a list of common passwords that would be towards the top lol. And its funny actually, you can tell what a persons passoword is just by knowing them lol.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users