Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Two Partions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shiday

shiday

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

I have a windows xp home machine that has one hard drive divided into 3 partitions (C: D: and E:)

I want to merge the C: and E: partitions together however cant seem to accomplish this. :thumbsup:

Could someone please inform me on how I might go about doing this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

OOOooo this is gonna be messy.
If you don't have a third party partition software I recommend you download Digital Dolly and burn and .iso image to CD. This is a good all a round hard drive utility.
Before I can advise you further I need to know what youvhave on the partitions. Operating systems, data, video? It will make a difference if you have a OS on D:\ or E:|.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

i have the os on the C: partition, then just random data files on the D: and E: partitions

I have never heard of digital dolly..... is this a very reliable program?? better than drive image or partition magic?? just curious

so I guess now i just need to know how to actually merge the E: and the C: together

thanks for the quick response so far

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

I have used Digital Dolly for years and find it very good. I had Partition Magic and found no advantage over DD. I like it because of how simple it is to use. It has a Help button for every feature. It remind me of DOSSHELL (I loved DOS ~snif snif~ :thumbsup: ).
I would expand D:\ as far possible then transfer all of E:\ to D:\. Once the transfer is complete absorb E:\ into D:\. This will leave you with C:\ and D:\.
I would defrag both at this point and and then you can resize D:\ if you want, then allow C:\ to have more space. Remember to defrag after words.
Remember to backup EVERYTHING!!! Do that before attempting to modify any partition.

#5 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:55 PM

again, thanks for the response

i forgot to mention before one important factor,

the C: partition is running out of space, this is the reason that i want to merge the E: into the C: partition,

How can I gain more space on the C: partition??

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

Once you have merged to other two, resize D:\ Xmb unassigned then expand C:\ the amount you have unassigned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users