Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I move my win7 over to my daughters laptop.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

Gooday all. I have asked in another post about getting my daughters computer working for her whilst she is overseas. I have 2 legitimate windows discs 1 is xp and the other is win 7. I have a new laptop with win 7 on it so I don't really have to have it loaded on my experimental machine. Can I delete win 7 from my machine and put it on her laptop. Or the same with the xp disc. It has become redundant any way and is sitting in a cupboard gathering dust. 2 legit discs and product keys. Can I move them to other machines? Regards, James.

Edited by wavemaker, 22 November 2011 - 05:34 AM.

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

2 legit discs and product keys. Can I move them to other machines?

Are they OEM or retail versions? OEM Windows cannot be utilized again a different computer, it's only valid for the computer it was originally supplied with. Retail Windows can be deleted from a computer it is on now (or the computer suitably decommissioned) and installed onto a different computer. As long as it's only loaded onto one computer, that's fine.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Are these OEM Windows discs (that shipped with a PC/laptop) or retail copies?

Looks like Platypus has answered your question.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 November 2011 - 08:55 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

OEM Disks?

As long as you have a product key, you should be able to us any Windows disk on any machine.

A few years back, my friends PC crashed, an HP, and i was able to use my Dell OEM Disk to resintall Windows Xp.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Gooday and thanks every one. Both discs were store bought not supplied with any machine. So thanks, my dilemma is resolved.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

<<As long as you have a product key, you should be able to us any Windows disk on any machine.>>

That is not correct...one size does not fit all.

An Explanation of Oem, Upgrade, Academic, And Full Versions of software - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial33.html

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?form=MSHOME&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=OEM+license+versus+retail+or+upgrade

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users