Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

high memory usage, google chrome, computer SLOW response

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

Less than a week ago, I used Control Panel to disable Google Chrome automatic update checking & installations. I did this because Chrome sometimes automatically checks for available updates and ties nearly all of computer resources while some unknown process associated with Chrome occurs. I thought this was because of the automatic update checking and installing, which why I turned this off (through Scheduling Tasks, in Control Panel.)

Just a couple of hours ago, I fresh-started the computer (Windows XP, s.p.3, 2.0GHz processor, 512MB RAM, Norton Internet Security 2011, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 7.01, Google Chrome (belief up to date, 15.0.874.121 m)), visited internet using Internet Explorer - NOT CHROME - and had not yet even opened chrome during this user session. A few minutes after the internet usage, the computer became suddenly very, very, very slow, and Norton File Insight indicated high memory usage from Google Chrome. It reported "setup.exe" as the file causing this. I clicked to see where file is this was file, and after maybe 5 or 7 minutes, a folder opened in response indicating C:....CR_2D830.tmp\setup.exe.

When the Chrome business finished, apparantly not accomplishing anything that I could tell, computer responsiveness returned to normal.

I just wonder, is my computer so affected not really well suited for Google Chrome Browser? Also, must I completely uninstall Chrome in order to make sure this unknown process regarding Chrome does not happen again? I thought by disabling the scheduled task of automatic check & install of updates, that this problem would not happen again, but the problem just DID happen again.

Edited by cafejose, 22 November 2011 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

Uninstall Chrome if it bothers you that much. There seems to be a new version of Chrome weekly so it's something that comes with the territory.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hello,

Well first you could do without norton.. with a computer such as yours with 512Mb ram you need all the memory you can get and with norton you are loosing a lot of that available memory. Chrome and its auto updates just add to that, then you start using your page file which will really slow you down. If it were me I would either get a ram upgrade or get rid of norton infavor of a different anti-virus. Or if you really don't like it uninstall chrome. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users