Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uploading these files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

Hello all

One of my friends has a website that I was doing some maintenance to but there is something very odd to me in his menu bar and
the extensions.
1.I noticed that his link directories do not have the ".html" extension why?
2.There are many folders his website pages goes into. with a bunch of numbers on some pages not in the menu bar.

AND

Should I upload the files as example: home.html (other wise how else do I save them in my html editor?.) :o

Here is the menu bar directory (No .html extensions) :huh:

MENU BAR
<div id="nav">
<ul>
<li><a href="/" class="active">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="/pages/features">Features</a></li>

<li><a href="/pages/spa-safety">Spa Safety</a></li>
<li><a href="/pages/associations">Associations</a></li>
<li><a href="/pages/contact-steelcore">Contact</a></li>
<li id="end"><a href="/collections/spa-locks">Buy Now</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

I want to know more before I touch this with my ftp.

Thank-you :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

I noticed that his link directories do not have the ".html" extension why?

Because , depending on the configuration, the system will look for a file called 'index.html', or 'index.php', or 'index.asp', etc. This is not at all unusual.

There are many folders his website pages goes into. with a bunch of numbers on some pages not in the menu bar.

Without seeing an example, it may be that the pages were dynamically generated (look at the address of this page, for example). Or it may mean that the website was created using a content management system of some sort, and the cms created whatever directories were necessary. Or the site may be masking the URLs of the pages to enhance security. There could be any number of reasons.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thank you for your reply

So to what I can assume right now I have to check if his pages are .html his source states the page as .html transitional.

Here is the link to his web page: http://steelcore.myshopify.com/

Should I upload these files in a .html extension? How can I find more information from his server because neither of his pages show the extensions in the url, but it seems they are .html :blink:

I just have not uploaded anything like these :busy:

Edited by JUICYboy, 22 November 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

You question and assumptions make no sense at all. Any page that is viewed in a browser is HTML; those pages can be generated by practically any language. What that means to you is that it is likely not a matter of simply updating some HTML tags. It probably means actually having to do some programming.

My advice is to leave it alone since you don't know what you are getting yourself into. If you must ignore my advice, and I am sure you will, then make a backup of everything and make the changes on a test system. Never make changes to a live website until they are fully tested. And then hope something doesn't break.

Just as a side note, the site was created with the 'shopify' web site creation tool. If you absolutely need to update something, then use their tool that was used to generate the site in the first place. Perhaps you should also look at this:

Shopify gives you 100% control over the HTML & CSS for your storefront. Shopify uses a templating language called Liquid.

Liquid makes it easy to turn your static HTML & CSS into a dynamic ecommerce system.

Take a look at our documentation to start learning how to use Liquid.

Do you know how to use their templating language"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users