Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Laptop Freezing Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MeanMotherJr

MeanMotherJr

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hello again, guys! This time, I'm having a problem I've had once before and had to reformat my hard drive in order for it to work again. It's doing it again know, and I don't know what to do. My computer seems oddly slow at opening new tasks, starting around the evening. It does fine with tasks already open, but takes over 30 seconds to open Firefox. The next obvious symptom is the loading light (The one that looks like 4 disks stacked on one another) is flashing continuously, and after every 5 seconds it stops for about half a second. Any idea on what causes this or how to get it fixed? Thanks in advance!]

System Specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD K10 61 C
45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Gateway NV53A (Socket S1G4) 62 C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Hard Drives
313GB Hitachi Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 ATA Device (SATA) 35 C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C ATA Device
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

1) That light you're describing shows hd activity. Open Task Manager to the Processes tab. Sort on the CPU column. Which processes are using the cpu the most?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Have you run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

#3 MeanMotherJr

MeanMotherJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

1. After waiting for Task Manager to appear correctly, svchost.exe was using the most memory.
2. Nothing is new from when the time it started happening.
3. Nothing found on both Malwarebyte's and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Also, a new error just before posting appeared: The perimeter is incorrect.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

1) Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

2) I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum to make sure it isn't a malware issue.

#5 MeanMotherJr

MeanMotherJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

1: I'm not entirely sure about that, as it only happens when my computer has been idle for about 20 minutes.
2: I'm fairly sure this isn't a malware issue because I've had this problem before, except it was much more aggressive.

I'm starting to think that this is an issue with Explorer.exe because it seems to be the only program that triggers this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users