Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solution to Transferring files and programs to new PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 enunn48

enunn48

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hello,
I am new to the forums but have been working with computers for about 10 years now. I have my current system set up with the programs exactly the way I want.

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the whole system, and user settings, but not the drivers. I dont know how that would affect the registry. So basically if you had one system set up the way you want, you could transfer it inbetween devices

I have just been looking for a way. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello! Firstly, there's no permissible way to transfer OEM Windows between different computers, as the license is valid only for the original computer it was installed onto. The one exception is if the computer must be repaired by mainboard replacement, and the replacement board is not identical. The technique for dealing with this accepted scenario would incidentally also work for transferring between computers.

That said, and assuming we're dealing with non-OEM Windows, what version? For example, XP:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Microsoft's official instructions for Windows migration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 enunn48

enunn48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Hello! Firstly, there's no permissible way to transfer OEM Windows between different computers, as the license is valid only for the original computer it was installed onto. The one exception is if the computer must be repaired by mainboard replacement, and the replacement board is not identical. The technique for dealing with this accepted scenario would incidentally also work for transferring between computers.

That said, and assuming we're dealing with non-OEM Windows, what version? For example, XP:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Microsoft's official instructions for Windows migration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

Ok, I understand what you're saying there.

I guess my goal is a little different. I was thinking if there was any way to extract the program files, along with app data, and registry entries in order so all of the programs run smoothly, and both systems (different hardware) will basically have identical file structures aside from the critical drivers?

I have always been told no by every person. I just do not see why it is impossible.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

It is really not possible once you have the programs installed. You have to take a registry snapshot before and after the program install to record registry changes. You might Google "portable app creator" to see what is available.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users