Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mohavepc

mohavepc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

I know this may be more of a general question but I would like some honest answers here. Has anyone else seen a rise as of late in laptop hard drive failures? I had 4 this last 2 weeks and 3 were seagates one was a western dig. They will not pass the seatools or wd rescue test so I'm pretty sure they're failures. could this be a virus? rooted? seems a bit too coincidental to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

4 Hardrive failures means you need to check your Electricity. If that 4 Hardrive fail on same Laptop that's means you need to check it first.

Btw, Could you tell how old is that Hardrive.

Edited by abauw, 22 November 2011 - 05:52 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Nope, it isn't very common. In most cases, they usually last for over a year or more.

It definitely looks like a laptop specific problem.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 mohavepc

mohavepc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

the 4 drives that have failed were out of various customers machines. could be city power I suppose but I doubt it. just seems too coincedental to me. I was just wondering if there could be malware or even a rootkit that could cause a hdd to fail the manufacturers tests. one I have now has failed 3 subsequent disk checks BUT has failed later and later in the testing. it will pass a windows disk check if the "Check for bad sectors" is unchecked. now it doing Just a "check for bad sectors" test # 3 and it has gotten past 3/4 without failure. Just not sure whats going on here.

I used to feel that the manufact. test tools were good and accurate. Don't think so any more. I believe there is more than meets the eye here.

As an update to this.
The Seagate Momentus 120Gb that has been failing these tests has now passed the automatic, the Scan for and attempt recovery each individually and just now past a full scan and the sea tools test.

What the hell gives here?

Edited by mohavepc, 22 November 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

the 4 drives that have failed were out of various customers machines. could be city power I suppose but I doubt it. just seems too coincedental to me.

Sorry, I think your problem is at same Laptop that make that 4 Hardrive fail.
If that 4 Hardrive from 4 Client then the problem could be something else.

The Seagate Momentus 120Gb that has been failing these tests has now passed the automatic, the Scan for and attempt recovery each individually and just now past a full scan and the sea tools test.

Does it was Sea Tools test? I doesn't know exactly what happen as I was not using Seatools for a couple of years but I think it normally if it fail then passed. Maybe it was fix on first attempt.

#6 mohavepc

mohavepc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

the 4 drives that have failed were out of various customers machines. could be city power I suppose but I doubt it. just seems too coincedental to me.

Sorry, I think your problem is at same Laptop that make that 4 Hardrive fail.
If that 4 Hardrive from 4 Client then the problem could be something else.

Does it was Sea Tools test? I doesn't know exactly what happen as I was not using Seatools for a couple of years but I think it normally if it fail then passed. Maybe it was fix on first attempt.

Perhaps it fixed it on the 4th attempt but I rarely have seen a HDD return to viable after 2 or more attempts. the reason I kept testing was because it went further with each test. I have it running a 6th disk check now and it's doing great. (and yes the seatools failed it 3 times. passed on four and will do a 5tgh test as soon as this is done. Just seems odd to me.

Edited by mohavepc, 22 November 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Congratulation. You now see it and will have see that on the future.
Honestly. Do that test over and over again will stress that Hardrive, sometimes it will fix it and sometimes it will make it worse, but I believe nothing could fix physical Bad Sector.

#8 mohavepc

mohavepc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Congratulation. You now see it and will have see that on the future.
Honestly. Do that test over and over again will stress that Hardrive, sometimes it will fix it and sometimes it will make it worse, but I believe nothing could fix physical Bad Sector.

I also believe your right as far as an actual bad sector. so it must have been a false reading? and yes I'm well aware that it can overstress a drive if over used but since these were failed drives and have been replaced already I figure nothing ventured nothing gained as far as knowledge as to whats happening here. I have become a tad skeptical on the reliability of the tools from some of the manufacturing companies and will be looking a lot closer at other things before I declare a drive dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users