Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Windows XP Files...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 toicy4ya

toicy4ya

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

Hello Everyone,

For the past month i was experiencing wireless connection problems on my laptop. Upon trying to diagnose and fix the issue i realized that there were several files missing on my laptop however the only one i can remember is the msiexec.exe. I tried restoring my laptop to a previous point several times but was unsuccessful. However, as a result for some reason now i can no longer log into the internet. My wireless connection icon on the tray has disapeared and when i double click on the Internet Explorer icon nothing happens. I ran a malwarebytes scan which yielded 5 trojans. I also ran Avast Virus scan which yielded two viruses.

Can anyone assist fix my laptop?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2011 - 07:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

I tried repairing the windows XP files using the windows XP cd repair option. However upon completion of the repair the laptop boots up but doesn't make it to the desktop. Instead it just keeps restarting. Right before its suppose to get to the desktop, it restarts itself again. This is so frustrating.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

Hello, lets see if we can find a stop code here.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Elise,

Thanks for your response. I hit F8 upon start up and received the same screen you have, almost identical with the exception that it does not have "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" option. How is that possible?

#5 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

I am also unable to boot in safe mode. When i try i get the following message; "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode, Setup will restart now."

I tried once again to repair the files using the Windows XP CD, Unfortunately i cannot complete a repair, i keep getting the following message;

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation
C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

•To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press Enter

•To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC

•To quit Setup, press F3

If I hit Enter it copies the filed to the Windows Installation Folders then once this process has completed the laptop restarts itself and i run into the same propblem of it continuasly restarting.

If i hit R, it gives me the Windows Recovery Console which asks me, "Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>? however, i am not quite sure what to do here.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Edited by toicy4ya, 22 November 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#6 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Here a great step by step guild " to Repair" windows XP.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

One word of advise... read the complete document first....

:clapping:

Edited by triad_cowboy, 22 November 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,115 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

In the F8 options menu, highlight Normal Mode, put one finger on the enter key and one on the F8 key. Hit enter and immediately afterwards tap F8. You should then see the Advanced boot options with more choices (note, you may need to try this a few times, F8 needs to be pressed immediately after entering Normal Mode).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 toicy4ya

toicy4ya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hey Guys,

After several unsuccessful attemps to fix the issue, I bit the bullet and reformatted my pc. Thanks for all the feedback. Please close this post.

Thanks

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Sorry to hear you ended up reformatting, but I hope everything is running fine now.

Happy computing!

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users