Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer - Too Many Programs Running

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maxcalvada

maxcalvada

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Computer runs a little slow. Biggest problem is Youtube)and other video sites) - audio runs smoothly while video constantly freezes up. I recall last year posting here and was advised to uncheck a lot of startup programs. I was told then to uncheck most of the startups, as they weren't needed...I don't remember which ones thought. Just looked at Sys Config/Startfup and everything is checked again. Can someone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

The computer runs slowly or videos on the web are slow? Please explain the EXACT problem.

Also, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Hi maxcalvada Lets see if we can speed your pc up a bit!

Download and run startuplite from Malwarebytes.org
http://www.malwarebytes.org/StartUpLite.exe
Please tell me which programs are starting after running startuplite.

Listproccess
A very small program that simply lists the processes that Task Manager lists, including the full path name so you can see what program they are part of. You can easily copy and paste the list into a text file for before/after comparisons, or to email/forum when asking for computer help. You may be surprised at what is running on your computer! Some processes waste a lot of computer resources and make your computer sluggish.
Download ListProcesses for Windows HERE

http://www.softwarespirit.com/ListProcesses.exe Save the file to the desktop.

Once downloaded to the desktop
Double click the Listproccess Icon
Click run
When the window opens "select" GetList
Scroll to bottom of the window and click on Copy
Reply to this thread and paste the contents of the list so we can see it.

Please download MiniToolBox HERE http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe When the box opens click save file, save it to the desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 23 November 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#4 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Did all you asked.

All that's now checked on startup on Sys Config is Applesyncnotflier.

I've attached the results of the 2 software programs you asked me to download.

Currently, Youtube is running faster, but still has slight "freeze ups."

Attached Files

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

The computer runs slowly or videos on the web are slow? Please explain the EXACT problem.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Uninstall these programs please.
HiJackThis (Version: 1.0.0) (outdated)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.0.3.1)
Java™ 6 Update 24 (Version: 6.0.240) (outdated) Get a updated copy of java here after uninstall http://java.com/en/
McAfee Security Scan Plus (Version: 2.0.181.2)
StartNow Toolbar (Version: 2.3.0) (crap)
NVIDIA Display Driver

Next:
Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then left click apply and move on to the next service.If the service is stopped and the startup type is manual then do nothing.

C:\Program Files\StartNow Toolbar\ToolbarUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

Then go to this link and select option 2 it will automatically find the driver you need after you uninstall your current driver in device manager and uninstall it through add remove programs then reboot then go to this link and select option two it will find the latest driver for your hardware.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Reboot your pc after completing the above task.Then hit start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 23 November 2011 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users