Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Datasafe and backing up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I got Dell Datasafe preinstalled when I bought my laptop back in April. It occasionally prompts me to back up my data; I will do it as soon as I can purchase a big enough memory stick. But do I really need to, or am I okay with the restore points and the discs that came with the laptop, that contain what would need to be reinstalled. Is there any benefit to the Dell Datasafe backup? (I have the free version only )

Is Datasafe worth keeping at all? I'm curious because every time I do a full Avast scan, it runs into Datasafe's password protection and cannot scan those files. (I'm not concerned about viruses, since someone here already walked me through a file by file scan when a false positive came up). I will put them on the ignore list now that I found out, but I'm curious if I need DDS or no.

Edited by ChicagoMel, 21 November 2011 - 03:48 PM.

Was using Firefox...until Chrome took over.

One God, One Truth, One Savior-Jesus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Do you have data on that laptop that you want to keep? Like pictures, text documents, e-mails, spreadsheets, papers, ...

If you do, then you need to make backup copies of that data to protect against (accidental) loss. Restore points or installation disks will not help you recover your data.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

I strongly agree with Didier Stevens.

If you have important data, you run the risk of losing everything unless you back it up on a regular basis. Data can be deleted by accident, lost due to catastrophic hard drive failure, power failure and power surges which damages internal hardware components or even lost due to malware infection. A computer's hard drive will not last forever and at some point its going to fail and eventually need replacing. Hard drive failure can occur suddenly without warning or it could occur gradually due to failing areas of the disc requiring repeated read attempts before successful access or as a result of bad clusters accumulating over time to the point the drive becomes unusable. Backing up your data is one of the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a routine basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas. You should also think about What should you backup?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Okay thanks :)

Was using Firefox...until Chrome took over.

One God, One Truth, One Savior-Jesus

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

You're welcome.

And you don't have to use Datasafe to backup if you don't like it. You have many options, look at the links quietman7 provided.
For example Windows 7 has a backup utility. And since you are talking about a new laptop, I assume it's a Windows 7 laptop.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users