Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes -- how to find root cause?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calius

Calius

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Hello all

My Windows 7 freezes, ~once per day. Suddenly, with no slowdown issues prior to freeze or anything in particular. My installed programs list is short, and contains nothign suspicious. Updated Ad-Aware and AVG complain about nothing. The HW itself is fine, since a previous installation of Windows XP worked perfect.

Didn't find anything particular in the Windows Event log, but I am not sure I know where to search.

How do I start debugging this?

tia!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
2) Boot to safe mode and try to stay there for at least a day. Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

#3 Calius

Calius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. Nothing is new, as far as I can tell. It just started happening.

Suspecting HW due to that, I installed SpeedFan and started logging temperatues, voltages and fan speeds. When it freezes again I'll look at the logs, and boot into safe mode.

Any more ideas?

#4 Calius

Calius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Update: I ran SpeedFan, and it logged everything until I came and found the machine fronzen again. Looking at the log file, nothing is special: temperature, voltage, fan speeds -- all OK, and almost the exact same values when it froze as when I reboot.

More updates: HijackThis shows nothing interesting. Same for latest AVG and AdAware.

I am lost here. Any ideas?

#5 shauder

shauder

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Try running a checkdisk or a system file check.

chkdsk c: /b

sfc /scannow

Also check your hard drive for bad blocks with HDTune. If it does have bad blocks try repairing with HDAT2.

http://www.hdtune.com/ (should be a free version)

http://www.hdat2.com/ (should be a free version)

If you have trouble this boot cd has both tools you can use: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Edited by shauder, 22 November 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

You keep asking if there are any more ideas. Please do as I asked in the first response. Boot to safe mode and see if the problem occurs there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users