Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to go through 10+ reboots every morning before my PC works

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 silverback8

silverback8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hi,

I've been going through the same ****ing annoying dance with my desktop for the past months. It started around the time I replaced XP with Windows 7.

Essentially, I have to go through 10+ reboots before my PC works every morning when I start my PC.

Here are some of the things that happen (in no particular order):
- Hanging at "Initializing USB controllers" on the very first screen when the PC boots
- Hanging at the "starting Windows" screen (the Windows logo never appears)
- BSODing shortly after log in or during any part of the boot process

Due to the above, I go through 10+ reboots before I'm able to use my PC. This means my startup time, instead of 1-2 min, is closer to 20 min EVERY DAY. I put up with it because I'm lazy but I really need to sort this out because it's getting annoying.

Thanks.

Edited by silverback8, 21 November 2011 - 05:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:08 AM

Hi,

It started around the time I replaced XP with Windows 7.

Hi Silverback8,

The symptoms your describe sound to me like the machine your using might need to be upgraded. Before the upgrade did you run the Windows Upgrade Advisor?

This tool will generate a report highlighting any potential compatibility issue's.

Edited by Lefty3120, 21 November 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#3 silverback8

silverback8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I just ran it and it doesn't show any major issues.

My PC isn't exactly top of the line, but it is powerful enough to run Windows 7.

#4 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

Please download Speccy.

Once you've got the program installed run it. It will take a few seconds to populate the information. When it's done click File > Publish screenshot. Copy & paste the url into your next post.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Exactly how did you do that? And after doing it did you download and install all of the proper drivers for W7 (starting with the chipset driver)?

#6 silverback8

silverback8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Please download Speccy.

Once you've got the program installed run it. It will take a few seconds to populate the information. When it's done click File > Publish screenshot. Copy & paste the url into your next post.

Here you go:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Hn7Gb5Bu8L2aKcXH6rQosi6

Exactly how did you do that? And after doing it did you download and install all of the proper drivers for W7 (starting with the chipset driver)?

From scratch, i.e. I did not use the upgrade option (or w/e its called), I reformatted and installed. Re. drivers, I only installed a few (e.g. for my video card). Most things seemed to work out of the box.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

At the very least you MUST go to the website of your computer (or motherboard) manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver. Open Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

#8 silverback8

silverback8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

At the very least you MUST go to the website of your computer (or motherboard) manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver. Open Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

There's a yellow symbol next to Serial ATA Controller under Other Devices. I'll look into the chipset drivers now. How can I tell who manufactured my mother board (it was a custom built PC I bought)?

EDIT never mind, it's in the speccy link

Edited by silverback8, 21 November 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#9 silverback8

silverback8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

They don't have Windows 7 drivers for my motherboard :( They stopped supporting it at Vista.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Then you should not be running Windows 7.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+975X+Express+Chipset

You can find the drivers there for that motherboard with the 975 express chipset. Be sure to get the proper windows 7 drivers. Depends on Win7 64 bit or 32 bit.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users