Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore with no disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

Gooday all.My daughter was given a laptop for christmas a couple of years ago, it had Vista OS. After a bit of stuffing her around she asked me what could I do to help her. I installed pclinuxos over the top of vista installed open office and some other programmes. Her vista product code is still on the lappy case and I also wrote it down to be sure to be sure. Now she has asked me, 18 months later if I can restore vista. As I said I have the key but the lappy did not come with a disc. Is there a way to restore this for her. I wouldn't want it but she does. I read somewhere that win7 was really vista re jigged with all the curves and wobbles fixed. I have a legit win 7 disc, is that any use to me? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edited by wavemaker, 21 November 2011 - 01:20 AM.

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you contacted the system manufacturer...and requested recovery/restore disks?

As for your question re Win 7...if you have a valid license (that is not used) and disk, yes, you can probably clean install it.

Louis

#3 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Gooday hamluis. Thanks for the reply. Yeah the kid just dropped it in my lap and said I want etc.
It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. L300 System Unit. Model PSLB9A- 013001. I have not contacted Toshiba in Brisbane yet as I was hoping to get hold of a disc and just use it and her valid key to replace the Linux distro on it. My question about the Win 7 CD is that if I put my disc into her lappy and then used her License key, would that work? The girls are going to Finland in a couple of weeks and want to take it with them. I just went to Canada and picked up a new Sony Vaio for a good price in Thunder bay. I will recommend them do that if she cant get something sorted soon enough.
Thanks again.James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

You cannot use the Sony Win 7 install...on a different system.

FWIW

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users