Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer taking to long to start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KeViNnNnN

KeViNnNnN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

Well basically to a give a little description of the problem. I will go step by step on how this whole thing goes down. So first my computer will start up normally, it will get past the initial windows loading screen, and get past the welcome screen in good fashion but when it gets to the next screen where the computer is officially starting up for use. it stays in this black screen with only the mouse cursor present for like 2-5 minutes. I can get to the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete and when I go to click the processes tab it reveals that not all the windows processes have started up yet in a timely manner. I have already tried disabling some programs from starting up with windows but that didn't fix the problem. The only things I haven't done yet to try and solve this problem was clean the dust out from the inside of my computer and possibly many other things.I'm not really sure though. But I only had this computer for like 7 months, could the dust really pose a problem that early in this computers life span? Anyways I just want to know whats wrong with my pc and fix this problem before it develops into something disastrous.

Edited by KeViNnNnN, 20 November 2011 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

But I only had this computer for like 7 months, could the dust really pose a problem that early in this computers life span?

The warranty is usually for 12 months (if you purchased new) -
If you pull it apart that usually voids the warranty. Let the shop where it came from check and clean it if needed -

#3 KeViNnNnN

KeViNnNnN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

But I only had this computer for like 7 months, could the dust really pose a problem that early in this computers life span?

The warranty is usually for 12 months (if you purchased new) -
If you pull it apart that usually voids the warranty. Let the shop where it came from check and clean it if needed -

How much would do this shop cost to clean the insides of my computer and would this shop by any chance be facilitated by the manufacturer of my pc i.e Hp? If it is than what protocol should be followed in order to get my computer sent to this shop to be cleaned?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hello,

If you didn't get the computer locally, don't bother with taking it to a shop.

Questions: Do you recall what you did before you started having this problem? Did you install new software? Are you or were you experiencing other problems with the computer? Are you able to start in Safe Mode?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 KeViNnNnN

KeViNnNnN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

I am able to start up my computer for use without going into safe mode its just it's period of starting up is very prolonged. Like I said in my initial post it stays in a pitch black screen with only the cursor present for like 2-5 minutes before it finally loads up all the processes. Also this problem has been occurring for a week commencing around last week and the only changes in applications that took place was my zone alarm being updated to a newer version.

Edited by KeViNnNnN, 21 November 2011 - 03:42 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Sorry if it was misunderstood Orange Blossom -
I was only meaning if the computer came from a "local" reputable retailer, do not take it apart. Nothing to do with a workshop.
The actual problem did not sound like it was anything to do with a "new / dusty problem", so I did not want KeV to dismantle it.

Just remove your "Zone Alarm" for now and just try to use MSE Antivirus and use M/soft firewall for 2 days, then see if that was your problem.
Re Install Zone Alarm after that, and see if the problem returns.

Thank You -

#7 KeViNnNnN

KeViNnNnN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

Sorry if it was misunderstood Orange Blossom -
I was only meaning if the computer came from a "local" reputable retailer, do not take it apart. Nothing to do with a workshop.
The actual problem did not sound like it was anything to do with a "new / dusty problem", so I did not want KeV to dismantle it.

Just remove your "Zone Alarm" for now and just try to use MSE Antivirus and use M/soft firewall for 2 days, then see if that was your problem.
Re Install Zone Alarm after that, and see if the problem returns.

Thank You -

Well apparently I made something big out of nothing. Zone alarm was delaying my computers start up time. Thank you so much for the help. One question though, do you think Microsoft security essentials would be sufficient as a fire wall and anti virus program? Or should I use something else to supplement it?

Edited by KeViNnNnN, 22 November 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

I would suggest MSE only. It works in conjunction with Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, which updates via Windows Updates each month.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users