Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole14

Nicole14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hi my friend told me to come to this site and i would be able to find a link that can help me repair my files... I recently had my computer poop out on me. on friday night i was watching something and when i clicked the X in the corner of the screen all of my files have vanished i dont even have a control panel.. I ran a malware thing and it took out all the problems.. I tried hitting f8 to do a factory grade setting and it wont even fix my computer. But now that i got all the problems out i was wondering if there is a way for me to get all my files back?? Please anyone help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hello, please do not run a TEMP or Registry file cleaner now.

please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

Edited by boopme, 20 November 2011 - 09:47 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nicole14

Nicole14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Oh i really hope this works Thank you So much in advance if not ill be posting again :(

#4 Nicole14

Nicole14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Almost everything loaded :heart: But my control panel is still not visible and also my run and on the side where its supposed to say documents n all that.. But most of my files have returned you dont know how much of a life saver u are =)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hey Great!!

EDIT:: Grinler wrote a script that should be easier than the manual fix.

Windows Vista 32-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/vista-32-sm-reset.exe

This is a manual fix for Vista/Windows 7 users:

1. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\1
and paste it to this folder:
C:\Program Data\Start Menu

2. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\2
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\3
C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

4. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\4
C:\Program Data\Desktop

-- Note: The "Start Menu", "Quick Launch" and "Desktop" folders are system folders. In order to see them, you need to Reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders. In Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab. Under Advanced settings > Files and Folders > Hidden Files and Folders, uncheck "Hide Protected operating system Files (recommended)" and hit Apply > OK. In order to access the "Start Menu" folder, you may need to "take ownership" of that folder as shown here.

If the above does not work, then you can restore the defaults for the Start Menu and Administrative Tools as follows:
For any other missing program shortcuts you will probably need to reinstall the application or manually create new shortcuts.

Edited by boopme, 21 November 2011 - 11:56 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users