Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB keyboard & Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 quilterkaren

quilterkaren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

Dell Dimensions E510
Windows XP with Service Pack 3 Media Edition
Dell USB keyboard

I am trying to do a clean install. When I get to the recovery console, all goes well until I get to where I need to select "R" to enter the setup. At that point my Dell USB keyboard stops working. I've tried other USB keyboards, but they too do the same thing. There is power to them, but it's like no USB support is there.

I have enabled USB support in the Bios and doubled checked it. I am using the Dell Operating System disk that came with that computer; however, it is only for SP2. The Dimensions E510 can only use USB; there is no PS/2 port and the only serial port is used by the monitor.

Thank you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

<<I am trying to do a clean install. When I get to the recovery console...>>

I guess that I don't see any connection between a clean install (where everything is deleted and new partition is created for new install) and the recovery console.

Can you clarify, please?

FWIW

Louis

#3 quilterkaren

quilterkaren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

So sorry, I said that wrong because I originally just planned to do a repair using Recovery Console; but decided to just clean things up and do a clean install. Either way, I lose the keyboard at the following place:

When I boot to the operating system disk, all runs fine (I still have keyboard) until it gets to the "Welcome to Setup" screen where you can choose:
* to set up XP (press Enter)
* to repair using Recovery Console (press R)
* to quit (press F3)

Edited by quilterkaren, 20 November 2011 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users