Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow internet, bad configuration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 michaelleewebb

michaelleewebb

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

i seem to have everything working. the problem is the internet is very slow. we have a managed internet and i believe the internet speed is fast enough the problem is that to many computers are having to query the main computer back at headquarters and not using the local servers to the full ability. i was hoping to try and explain the current setup to everyone and maybe someone to help me configure the system so that remote users use the local servers for everything that they can and only go back to the main server for things that can't be maintained localy. like shared files. all servers are running server 2003.
the following is the current setup. if you need more info please ask.

6 locations, paris is corp. headquarters.
corp headquarters server:
local router is at ip 10.0.10.3
static ip is 10.0.10.35. dns is on and working thur active directory.
under dnsmgmt, under properties for the local dns, interfaces tab, set to listen on 10.0.10.35
under forwarders tab, set to forward to router 10.0.10.3

in the left pane of dnsmgmt under foward lookup zones i have 2 zones. ad.mycompany.com and as400.

as400 is our as400 machine (its local). when i click on it the right pane shows all the remote server ip addresses, type is name server (ns). when i right click on as400 and bring up propertys, name servers shows all our remote servers and our local dns server 10.0.10.35, it has a star in the ip address, under it says represents an ip address retrived as the result of a dns query and may not represent actual records stored on this server. nothing is under the zone transfers tab.

ad.mycompany shows the following: left click and ad.mycompany and i have everyone the the company, both local and remote, all type host(a). at the bottom of the list it has all the remote servers listed. type name server (ns). if i expand ad.mycompany zone i have server folders but the interesting ones seems to be domaindnszones and forestdnszones. both domaindnszones and forestdnszones contains all the remote dns server ip addresses and itself 10.0.10.35 type host(a). when i right click on ad.mycompany and bring up propertys under the name servers i have all the remote servers ip address and itself 10.0.10.35. under zone transfers tab the allow zone transfers is clicked and only to servers listed on the name servers tab is selected.

REMOTE SERVERS:
each remote location has a server its a domain controller, active directory, dns. dns allways end with .30, so one is 10.0.20.30, the next is 10.0.30.30 Etc etc.
one of the remote servers settings:
in the left pane of dnsmgmt, when i select the dns, in the right pane it says configure a dns server bah bah, this server has not been configured. but when i expand the dns sever i have the forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones just like the main server back at 10.0.10.35. in fact it looks just like 10.0.10.35. do i need to setup dns ?? i think so.

on another remote server the settings are:
when i left click on the dns sever the dns seems to be installed and running. if i right click and the dns, under the interface tab it says listen on its ip address 10.0.40.30. fowarders is set to our isp dns server ip addresses, not private ip addresses. everything else seems to be setup exactly like the paris server 10.0.10.35

about reverse lookup zones: the main local server (paris) has a folder with each of the remote ip zones (backwards) 10.0.10, 20.0.10,30.0.10. etc. the remote servers shows the ip zones for all the remote subnets but not backwards.

about dhcp: main computer has dhcp turned on, all remote servers have dhcp turned off and use dhcp relay back to the main server.
this is working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Not sure why you are using forwarders. That is adding to the slow down since it is forwarding all queries to the paris office for resolution for anything that cannot be resolved by your internal DNS. Either do away with the forwarders or make sure they are set as conditional forwarders where only domain specific traffic is sent to the Paris office and internet traffic is resolved through the ISP's DNS servers.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users