Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Overdrive

Overdrive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

I've just done a full upgrade, replacing almost all internals with:
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 pro
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 980
Ram: single 4GB stick of DDR3 (patriot PSD34G13332H - PC3-10600 1333MHz CL9)
Vid: Asus HD6670

I had no problems really with the build itself (no hammers required), but when I power up, the motherboard is complaining about the ram. There's a dram error led lit, and when I connected a speaker it's giving the code for bad memory. This all happens immediately, before I can get to the bios. It's never got past this point.

I've tried 3 different sticks of the Patriot ram, and another brand (that I don't have the details of), with the same thing happening each time. I've tried the ram in different slots, and am getting the same problem as if there was no ram installed. The motherboard documentation says it's compatible with ECC, non-ECC, non-buffered ram, but Asus' 'Qualified Vendor List' doesn't mention that specific ram (although it does have a few Patriot 1333MHz 2GB sticks in the list).

I also tried removing the video card in case it's a power problem (it's an old 400W PSU), but got the same problem. It didn't go away when I cleared the CMOS RTC ram.

I'm hoping I'm missing something, and want to rule everything out before popping the CPU and returning the motherboard. Does anyone have an idea if it's more likely to be an incompatibility between ram and board, a dodgy board, a badly seated cpu, or something I've missed?

Cheers,
Bruscar.

I have just had the same issue with ram not being recognised. In my case though, it is in the QVL ie Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB.
Whatever combination I've tried I get the long beep,2 short beeps from MemOk.
I am sending it back as DOA and ordering another type from the QVL; this time it's the Corsair Vengance 2x4Gb CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

One thing that really disturbs me is the persistent high pitched noise that accompanies the beeps. It sounds awful. Is that anyone else's experience?

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2011 - 12:09 PM.
Split from different topic, sent PM to new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Overdrive

Overdrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

Have you read the manual with regard to memory problems?

There is a MemOk! switch that you can use for incompatible memory to make it work.It is I believe next to the memory error light. The manual will tell you how to use it. It will be something like press and hold until the light starts flashing or some such.

They have the same feature on Intel boards and I used it on one I did for a friend. It did work when done properly.

Good Luck

Thanks very much for your reply ,Rotor123.

It was pressing the MemOK button that produced
(1) a high pitched continuous tone (like a fan going much faster than it was meant to ie a quite disturbing shriek) and
(2) the long beep followed by 2 short beeps, repeated ad infinitum.

You mention the dram led light being on before using the MemOK! button. Is that correct? I don't get any leds light up until I press the MemOK! button. Then I see the dram led blink twice , pause, blink twice again followed by the cpu led blink once then the whole process repeats. It looks like a short test sequence in a loop.

I've received my new Corsair Vengeance memory today and tried a single stick with exactly the same result. The likelihood of getting 4 sticks of bad memory must be extremely low so I'm wondering perhaps it doesn't handle 1600mhz memory or if I'm going down the wrong track.

I'm concerned about the continuous tone as this may indicate some other problem. Is this what you get?

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Thanks very much for your reply ,Rotor123.

It was pressing the MemOK button that produced
(1) a high pitched continuous tone (like a fan going much faster than it was meant to ie a quite disturbing shriek) and
(2) the long beep followed by 2 short beeps, repeated ad infinitum.

You mention the dram led light being on before using the MemOK! button. Is that correct? I don't get any leds light up until I press the MemOK! button. Then I see the dram led blink twice , pause, blink twice again followed by the cpu led blink once then the whole process repeats. It looks like a short test sequence in a loop.

I've received my new Corsair Vengeance memory today and tried a single stick with exactly the same result. The likelihood of getting 4 sticks of bad memory must be extremely low so I'm wondering perhaps it doesn't handle 1600mhz memory or if I'm going down the wrong track.

I'm concerned about the continuous tone as this may indicate some other problem. Is this what you get?

Have you read the manual? It gives the entire procedure.

Is the loud noise coming from the motherboard itself? if so what component?
The Motherboard Speaker or a speaker plugged into it?
Or the Video card? or something else?
Some of the fancier Video cards make a warning sound if you don't connect the extra power plugs to them. IE 6 Pin PCI-e lead(s).
I've heard loud shrieking noises come from many parts of a computer over the years.

I would also take out the motherboard and power supply and put them on a non conductive surface during my testing to eliminate anything else from the picture. I have seen the brass standoffs in the wrong place, or not used at all. Especially when re-using a case.
Also if it has built-in video I would use that first and then when it works add the video card.

The Intel one I did for a friend used 1600Mhz memory. First it had to post so I could go into the bios and then you set the memory to 1600Mhz, it was defaulted to 1333.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 19 November 2011 - 11:08 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Overdrive

Overdrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

Have you read the manual? It gives the entire procedure.

Is the loud noise coming from the motherboard itself? if so what component?
The Motherboard Speaker or a speaker plugged into it?
Or the Video card? or something else?
Some of the fancier Video cards make a warning sound if you don't connect the extra power plugs to them. IE 6 Pin PCI-e lead(s).
I've heard loud shrieking noises come from many parts of a computer over the years.

I would also take out the motherboard and power supply and put them on a non conductive surface during my testing to eliminate anything else from the picture. I have seen the brass standoffs in the wrong place, or not used at all. Especially when re-using a case.
Also if it has built-in video I would use that first and then when it works add the video card.

The Intel one I did for a friend used 1600Mhz memory. First it had to post so I could go into the bios and then you set the memory to 1600Mhz, it was defaulted to 1333.

Good Luck

Thanks again for your reply. I'll try your suggestions and post back my results.

[Later] Well, success at last :) I had indeed left the pci power lead disconnected from the video card. This resolved the dreadful shriek. Regarding the memory, I had not seated it properly on the side that has a fixed end (this design is new to me, I'm used to having clips at both ends). I had to apply a much firmer pressure to make it click into place.

Now my final problem is that Win7 feels it needs to enter recovery console and resolve some issue(s), but that's another story.

Many thanks for helping resolve my problem and my best wishes to you.

Edited by Overdrive, 20 November 2011 - 11:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users