Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple networks when I only have one

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hello.

I recently had to reset and reinstall my Cisco Linksys 3000 because of connection issues with Time Warner Cable. I can surf on the internet when my Windows 7 laptop is connected via cable.

Problem is, the system is now showing two networks instead of one. It also says I'm not connected to the wireless system. I'm trying to setup my wireless printer, and I'm having problems.

Screenshots: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lclYEpFrZLg/TskSIqzY-fI/AAAAAAAAfHg/B7Q7Z8Kpt3U/s800/Screen%252520Captures1.jpg

I never had this issue before. I was always able to setup my wireless printer and wireless router without problems. I also always had one network.

Do I have to reinstall my router yet again to solve this problem, or is there another way to fix this? I believe once I'm on one network, my problems will be over.

Thank you.
So confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

In the Network and Sharing Center, on the left side, click Manage wireless networks. Delete every instance of DeepThought (including ones with numbers).

Back in the Network and Sharing Center, click on one of park bench icons next to one of the networks (doesn't matter which one). In the window that pops up, click Merge or delete network locations. Once again, delete every instance of DeepThought (including ones with numbers).

Unplug the ethernet cable, and the first connection (DeepThought of type Local Area Connection) will go away. The reason the 2 is there is because you have two connections (not networks, per se) with the same name. The LAN connection is DeepThought, so the wireless connection has no choice but to be DeepThought 2. It's the same network, but with two connections to it.

After unplugging the cable, disconnect from the wireless network, then reconnect back. You should be prompted for your network key. After entering that, you should be connected to the wireless network DeepThought (with no 2).

If you have any trouble with any of those steps, don't hesitate to ask questions.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users