Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Ok not to good with computers but not to bad either. Here is my problem. I have a Dell computer witn XP......The "C" drive keeps coming up with low disk space. It reads Free. 3.46 MB and Total 8.47 GB but I have an "F" drive that reads Free..67.2 GB and Total 74.4 GB. I tried to move all I could from the "C" drive to the "F" drive but I still get low disk space pop-ups. Is there a way I can combine the 2 drives into one?

Thanks for your time and help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

When you "moved" the files from C drive to F drive it actually copies the files onto the second one. Did you delete the files off of C drive after you copied them? Yes, to answer your question about combining the drives into one. It is called Dynamic Disk drive, and although it can be done on XP Pro, I'm not sure of XP Home being compatible or not. I'll have to look into it. From what i've read though it causes drop in your PC's performance. Have you tried a Disk Cleanup Program like the one integrated into Windows OS?
Posted Image

#3 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:54 AM

Thanks all f or your help. I was able to take advice from two of my posts and fix BOTH problems. I downloaded AVG anti virus and got rid of Norton Anti virus and that freed up a ton (over 1GB) of free space on my F drive. Now I have all my downloads going to F.

Thanks again for your help

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:36 AM

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:

How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...313348&Produc...

Either way, you can't do it with built-in Windows functions. Unfortunately,
no version of Windows provides any way of changing the existing partition
structure of the drive nondestructively.

Whatever software you use, make sure you have a good backup before
beginning. Although there's no reason to expect a problem, things *can* go
wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users