Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Computer Tool Kit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HackSlash

HackSlash

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

What would be the best tools to have in a tool kit for poking about inside a computer? My work often requires me to open up computer cases and dive right in. Though my work does provide some tools, they can tend to disappear or get misplaced, so I'd like to have my own kit to keep on my person at all times.

I already know I should have an anti-static wrist strap and some sort of "tweaker" or precision tools. However, I don't know which precision tools would really be worth my money. I've also read that I should have plastic tweezers?

Unfortunately, I need to be able to have a relatively small enough "just essentials" kit to carry around in my large leg pockets or on my belt, though it'd be nice if there was a suitable case that fit this criteria so I don't misplace my tools. I can tend to be a little absent-minded; if I have a place on my person where each tool belongs, especially the smaller ones, then I'm less likely to lose them.

Overall, I'm looking for your product recommendations and -why- you're recommending them.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

I can tend to be a little absent-minded

:inlove: :busy:

Tekken

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

Here's what my kit consists of (mine are the last Generation which was called "Grip Series") :
Snap-On Instinct Mini Screwdriver Set
Snap-On Instinct Mini TorxDrivers
Snap-On Instinct Mini Dental Pick Set

and a couple pairs of mini pliers and Hex (Allen) Keys I picked up here and there (literally no idea where 1/2 of them came from) along with a 5/16" Nut Driver

No I didn't pay that for my set, actually I got all of them free with a Pry bar set almost 10 years ago and I've used them on Carburetors, Radios, and just about anything that requires small tips.

ToolTopia.com has some sets for a little less.

The tools that need to be in it (if you're buying pieces) are as follows:

-#1 Philips Screwdriver
-#2 Philips
-Small Blade Standard (Straight) Screwdriver
-Slightly Lager than small Standard Screwdriver
-5/16" or 8mm Nut Driver (same size different names)
-Mini Needle Nose Pliers
-Mini Diagonal Cutters (ever met an annoyingly sharp pointy bit of PC case)
-Set of Mini-Dental Picks
-Hex Key set in Standard and Metric
-T-8, T-10, T-15, T20, and T25 TorxDrivers
-PSU Tester
-DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)

Brand/Series wise Snap-on is amazing but costs an arm and a leg (but they love me so I get a healthy discount on odd and ends like this) S&K is good but expensive, Gear wrench is less than either of the fore mentioned brands but still high. You know the brands to avoid when you hold them in your hand, if it feels cheaply made and breakable it is (M.I.T. I'm looking at you).

Edited by BlackSpyder, 20 November 2011 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

First tool that cross in my mind is a Little Hammer :smash:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash: