Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No response from Sony Vaio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hello, I trying to repair a Sony Vaio vgn-ns20e for a neighbor which is pretty well unresponsive, on startup the system shows the Vaio splash screen and shows no further progress until it displays 'Windows loading files' the screen goes blank and then it displays the 'Startup Repair' option, I select this but nothing happens. I then removed one of the memory modules and ran memtest with no errors, I then repeated this with the other module, again no errors. I switched off and started up again and after a while up pops the 'start windows normally' or 'select startup repair', I select startup repair,after about 45mins it completed the test and displayed -System Volume on disk was corrupted, system performed Chdsk /r, I shut down and restarted, but no difference. I then loaded Ubuntu and ran a check on the hard drive which showed 'Disk has a few bad sectors', there was also a recovery partition, so I shut down, restarted and pressed alt-F10 to recover the system, but got no response whatsoever. From this I am presuming that the hard drive is well stuffed, unless anyone has any other ideas???
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Bye the way, the system is running Vista home premium.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Backup files as bad sectors could mean the drive is in trouble.

Tekken

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hello, this may help you get your stuff off that hard drive : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Please use restore points often

#5 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for your response guys.

#6 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Your are quite welcome, sorry for the bad hard drive, and thanks for using Bleeping Computer.

Please use restore points often

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

Are you able to boot into safemode?
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemodevista.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic