Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV Protection 2011

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qultur

Qultur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

So my computer's been infected by the whole AV Protection virus deal. I've come here through the magic of Google passageways and have downloaded several things, namely Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, TDSSKill, RKill, and iExplore. I've unchecked my LAN Network Settings under Internet Options.

I really don't know what I'm doing.

So nothing's particularly worked. Could someone kind of...help me out somehow??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hello. Welcome to Bleeping Computer, the Malware Removal Team will respond, a moderator will move this thread to the proper forum, where you will be instructed . Thank you for using Bleeping Computer.

Please use restore points often

#3 Chamomile

Chamomile

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

I am also in the same boat. I have tried to follow the instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-protection-2011 without much luck cuz I am unable to connect to the internet to download anything in safe mode, and tools placed on a stick drive do not seem to be working on the infected laptop:((

So my computer's been infected by the whole AV Protection virus deal. I've come here through the magic of Google passageways and have downloaded several things, namely Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, TDSSKill, RKill, and iExplore. I've unchecked my LAN Network Settings under Internet Options.

I really don't know what I'm doing.

So nothing's particularly worked. Could someone kind of...help me out somehow??

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello, i can assist to a degree , read this : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-malware-tutorial#tutorial
Also, follow the automated instructions step by step, that link for removal is the one to use. Notice that you may have to use a cd/dvd or flash drive with the programs downloaded on a working computer to use on the infected computer.

#5 Chamomile

Chamomile

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thanks lilbit:

I did follow the instructions exactly downloading programs from a healthy computer with a stick drive. But once they were on the infected computer I had issues. The Rkill for example kept saying it cannot be installed, irrespective of what name I used for it.

Another big problem: MWB installed properly, but since I could not access the internet in safe mode, I could not update MWB and the definitions I have on the sick laptop are 80 days old.

Hello, i can assist to a degree , read this : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-malware-tutorial#tutorial
Also, follow the automated instructions step by step, that link for removal is the one to use. Notice that you may have to use a cd/dvd or flash drive with the programs downloaded on a working computer to use on the infected computer.

#6 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

I hear ya, that can be a nasty, notice it mentions in the guide that it may include a rootkit. In the first part of the removal guide. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller I am just reminding you of this program, it can be overlooked at times. A Malware Removal Team member should get to you soon.

#7 Chamomile

Chamomile

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

OK,

I may have completely removed the AV protection 2011. I booted in safe mode and did a system restore back to November 1. I then restarted the laptop normally, installed malwarebytes from the stick drive, updated MWB and ran a full scan, which seems to have caught and removed the malware.

I have windows XP FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users