Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hi all, I am trying to fix my sons computer but this screen keeps coming up even after I put the Windows 7 disk in the drive. It always comes back to this message no matter what we do. Please help.....Oh by the way, the disk tries to load, says its loading windows when the hard drive is disconnected and then of course since there is no drive it stops.

File: \Boot\Bcd

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

the disk tries to load, says its loading windows when the hard drive is disconnected and then of course since there is no drive it stops.

Hi -
Sorry but you have me totally confused here !!
>>the disk tries to load, says its loading windows when the hard drive is disconnected and then of course since there is no drive it stops.<<

How can you try to install Windows 7 when you have the HDD disconnected ?? Or am I reading this totally wrong ??
Can you please try to explain this briefly in another way ??

Thank You -

#3 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Sorry about the confusion and me and my son are just as confused. When we try to start the computer it gives us that error. We put in the Windows disc and we still get the same thing. My son actually disconnected the hard drive just to see what would happen and it starts to read from the disc and tries to load windows. Then it just stays there. Then we connect the hard drive again and it does it all over again. I hope you can understand a little better....thanks

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

My son actually disconnected the hard drive just to see what would happen and it starts to read from the disc and tries to load windows. Then it just stays there.

If there is no HDD then there is nowhere to load / read the Windows program from.
Fully reconnect all components again and what is the current error message(s) ?? This is the easy to try and find a problem.
What will work or will not work once everything is back in their normal operating places ?
Do not insert any discs, just try to turn the computer on first, and now see if anything starts when you press the Start Button -

Thank You -

>>"Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."<< With no HDD it cannot read.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

it sounds to me as if it is set to boot from the hard drive first and second from the optical drive. When you disconnect the hard drive it boots from the optical drive in that case.

What make and model computer is it?

For Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo for example you press F12 when the makers logo is on the screen to choose startup device.
For ASUS motherboards pres F8 when the ASUS logo shows.
For HP press the ESC key when the HP logo shows.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

It always gives us the same error message. With or without a disc in. We have tried to reconnect everything as well and nothing seems to work. It doesn't sound like the hard drive is spinning or anything as well...I am assuming that means that the hard drive may have taken a dump?

#7 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

I went to the bios screen and have tried to boot from the cd, from the drive etc...no luck with anything. It is so strange, my boys have the same exact computer and parts. My husband builds them and when I went to check his bios screen, it is exactly the same and nothing is wrong with his. I feel some vibration from the hard drive but it is hard to tell if it is spinning or if it is from somewhere else in the computer. I am at a total loss.....Thanks to all who are trying to help

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

We have tried to reconnect everything as well and nothing seems to work.

It sounds like you need someone to actually look at the computer to see if you do have all connectors in the right way.
From what you are saying, I assume there is no internet on that system now -
This would have been nice if you had some way to access the system and give a bit of current info on the system .... But ...

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread:
It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Since we can't see any active details, I think your husband, or the boys need to try another hard drive first.
As he builds them, he may have a spare one somewhere ???

Regards -

#9 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

I did it an easier way for me since I can't access anything on his computer. We went to where my husband got all the parts for the pc. So here is the info I came up with.

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK

AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGQBOX

XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I hope this helps out.........Oh and my husband has already checked all the hook ups when we first tried to fix it. It has been sitting awhile now.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

File: \Boot\Bcd

This link is for Microsoft Vista, applicable to Win 7. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391
Check optical drive capabality of reading DVD or CD discs also. Check the drive if its recognized on BIOS. Most windows discs boots automatically upon restarting PC.

Tekken

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Well done, but, this error and problem always seem to apply to Vista and rarely Win 7 - -

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
File: \Boot\BCD
Status 0xc000000f
An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Again this error and message is from several Vista Forums (as per jhayz)
Most Windows 7 discs boots automatically upon restarting PC, BUT you may need to hold down C key as the first DVD is placed in.
I just did a reinstall with Win 7 Recovery DVDs and the Techs at Toshiba told me this was the only Reinstall / Recovery secret.

#12 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

I did what you said and now when it tries to load it stops on verifying DMI pool data. It just stays there

Edited by Rheanun, 20 November 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

Tekken

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Well done, but, this error and problem always seem to apply to Vista and rarely Win 7 - -

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
File: \Boot\BCD
Status 0xc000000f
An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Again this error and message is from several Vista Forums (as per jhayz)
Most Windows 7 discs boots automatically upon restarting PC, BUT you may need to hold down C key as the first DVD is placed in.
I just did a reinstall with Win 7 Recovery DVDs and the Techs at Toshiba told me this was the only Reinstall / Recovery secret.

True for Toshiba, other brands other methods. Asus is F8 for the boot menu, Dells is F12 and so on.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Now it gets to BOOTMGR is missing.....That is where it stays, oh and Jhayz, I would love to try your solution but my sons pc doesn't have a floppy drive on it

Edited by Rheanun, 21 November 2011 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users