Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get rid of unwanted and unneeded Windows Security Update for Internet Explorer KB972260

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MBzinSF

MBzinSF

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'm using WIN XP, SP3. Last week I caved to the inevitable and removed Windows IE7 from my computer using Add/Remove programs. I've double-checked and can't see any IE installed on my system and now I'm a happy, dedicated Firefox 7 user. Problem is, Windows keeps sending me a Security Update for IE6 that I can't get rid of: Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 - KB972260. Every time it does I uncheck the update listing and check the box that says "don't show this to me again" - but it keeps coming back. I can't find this problem mentioned anywhere else so am looking for help here. How can I permanently disable this unwanted update offering?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Because you can't uninstall IE. It will screw up your computer. You don't have to use it but you have to have it. That's not the answer you want but it's the correct answer.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

+1

IE is baked into Windows and can't be removed.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users