Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error: incompatible license. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

So, when I went to do the update from 11.04 to 11.10 the install froze up, and now I cannot boot. I have a dual boot with Win7, and I can't get that to boot either.

I got frustrated and decided to just try a fresh install of 11.10. I did that, formatted the drive during the install, but I still get the same error:

error: incompatible license.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Today I tried to do a fresh install of 11.04, but I'm still getting this error. My computer has been out of commission since 11.10 came out, and I would love to get this fixed. I would have thought that doing a fresh install would wipe all traces of the old OS, but apparently not.

I tried various things I found googling, but to no avail. One was reinstalling GRUB from a live CD, but I could not get it to work. I don't know what else to do. All the information I've found is either really technical, or not exactly relevant.

This thread leads me to believe that it may be because I had added a second hard drive to this PC a couple months back. So maybe it's trying, or finding, part of an old install somewhere on the original HD. I don't know. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

doug try this i mess up grub when i had ubuntu on one partition and tried to install linux mint 12 on another. it worked for me

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/boot-repair-simple-tool-to-repair-frequent-boot-problems.html

hope this will help
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Thanks! I was just about to come and bump this thread. I'm at work right now, and may not get to it until the weekend, but I'll try it out for sure. I'll let you know how it goes. There's so much information out there regarding Linux, it's hard to know what's applicable. Thanks again.

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

doug try this i mess up grub when i had ubuntu on one partition and tried to install linux mint 12 on another. it worked for me

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/boot-repair-simple-tool-to-repair-frequent-boot-problems.html

hope this will help

Thanks a lot for that, it worked great. Took me a while to get to it, but I was able to install from a Live-CD and now I can get back into both Windows and Ubuntu. Finally, I have my second computer back! Thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users