Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log into isp home page, gets redirected.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi guys!! Okay, my isp is Netscape. Home page is isp.netscape.com. When I either click on isp.netscape.com in the address bar or type the URL in I am redirected to: http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/menu/. When that loads, there are some the same boxes as Netscape, which I thought at first was Netscape's way of telling me that they are part of Compuserve now. So, I had to log in. The login was my AOL AIM login. BOO! I could not get to my Netscape mail at all. I called a friend and had her go to the Netscape home page and it loaded just fine.

I was using FF, the last stable 6.0something. I downloaded 8.0 to see if FF was the issue. Didn't work. I went into IE, got the same results. I ran MalwareBytes, Super Anti-Spyware, and Avira Antivir. They found nothing. I looked in the Registry, not one mention of Compuserve in there. No other web site is doing this. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EWSflash

EWSflash

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

When that happened to me I was using Cox's free security suite that came with the ISP service
, a custom 'lite' version of McAfee. I sprang for a Norton Internet Security subscription, ran a full system scan, and the problem resolved and has not returned. Prior to that I ran MalwareBytes and a couple other freeolas.

I'd had a lot of issues previously with Symantec products, but interestingly, this version running on Windows7 has been smooth sailing.

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

When that happened to me I was using Cox's free security suite that came with the ISP service
, a custom 'lite' version of McAfee. I sprang for a Norton Internet Security subscription, ran a full system scan, and the problem resolved and has not returned. Prior to that I ran MalwareBytes and a couple other freeolas.

I'd had a lot of issues previously with Symantec products, but interestingly, this version running on Windows7 has been smooth sailing.

Thank you, but I run XP Pro and Norton was never an option for me after using it a few times. Funny thing, I just got a popup warning from Super Anti-Spyware that someone/something was trying to redirect my home page. Of course, I said do not permit. Then slapped my fingers for being so fast on the trigger because I think that popup also says who is trying to redirect it. Next time. I have cleaned many ugly viruses off other peoples' computers. A couple on mine and you would think I would know better, I NEVER open anything I don't trust, but these days that doesn't mean anything.

Am going to load HJT and see if there is anything in there. Oh, the only thing I use Netscape for is their dialup server and email. Gotta use dialup, no other options where I live. OH OH OH I did lose the little icon in the tray that goes in there when connection is complete and can't find where I configure that little puppy.

Jann

#4 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

SOLUTION!! You can pin this. It seems that Netscape changed their addy without letting users know. Instead of www.isp.netscape.com it is isp.netscape.com without the www. The look of the page is also quite different. Made me nuts for two days.

Jann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users