Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp powers on then shuts off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fortune7

fortune7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have a built computer don't really have the particulars on hand but they could be furnished. I powered my computer off yesterday and unplugged everything in the back then when we I replugged everything my computer powers on for two seconds then powers off. Now from some of the forums I have read its saying it might be that my power supply is dead. With out having to buy a tester is there anything else I could try? I don't have another power supply. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

When you unplugged it, was anything knocked over at any point?

Check all cables internally to verify they are secured, etc.
Try a CMOS reset (most motherboards still have a three-pin section with a jumper, where 0-1 is regular and 1-2 clears the CMOS, use the jumper to short 1-2, then switch the jumper back to 0-1, and then try to turn it on).
Try booting up with only the motherboard, RAM, CPU, and video card attached, disconnect power and data cables for hard drives, optical drives, and any other add-on cards, disconnect all USB from front and back, and see if it boots to POST and keyboard error/insert disk error.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

one other possibility (probability), If you moved it at all and the Heat sink assembly was not secure and cam even part way loose the computer will do what you describe. That used to happen to Intel socket 478 and newer if they were not attached right at assembly. Socket 478 sometimes the little plastic parts that the HSF assembly clips hooked into would break.

Check for that it sounds more likely since it was working until you unhooked it.

If the heat sink can be moved easily you found the problem.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 fredjones1

fredjones1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

Sounds more like a memory issue to me. Presumably, you are using either dual or triple channel memory and, if so, the modules may have to fitted in a certain order and configuration. If you have fitted them incorrectly, continuous powering off can be the result. I suggest you read the memory section of this article.

Edited by fredjones1, 21 November 2011 - 08:22 AM.

#5 fortune7

fortune7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I broke down and had someone look at it. He's an IT guy and he says my motherboard is fried. Two of the capacitors have bubbled up.

#6 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

That'll do it. Sorry bout your luck on that, but if it's in warranty, it's just a replace.

Good luck!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

http://www.badcaps.net/ They can recap your motherboard or you can read through the tutorials and get help on how to do it yourself. It is actually fairly simple to do. The only thing is getting the right capacitors. The stuff sold at Radio Shack for example is not up to the job being general purpose and computer grade.

Capacitors have several ratings that are important. ESR, Current, Voltage and of course physical size.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users